• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Britannia Place, St Paul's Square?

PaulE

master brummie
Several people on my family tree were born in Britannia Place, St Paul's Square, between 1900 and 1910.

I was hoping it would be easy to track down, as that area is relatively well preserved, but none of the maps I looked at, old or modern, had any trace of it.

I did however find Britannia Court at 27 St Paul's Square in the excellent 1849 History of Birmingham, downloadable from here:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?q="britannia+place"+"st+paul's+square"

and also found that the Britannia Public house was at number 27 in the 1905 Kellys Directory.

Does anyone know anything more about Britannia Place, Court or Pub? Would the court have been behind the pub?

Thanks and regards

Paul

Paul
The 1873 directory shows Britannia Court as being next to no 27 , James Parker victualer, which again is next to Cox St. The 1913 map shows this as a blank space, so the court and pub must have been demolished before that. The 1890 map. however shows what must be Britannia court , marked in red, behind the Inn (as it is called on the map), down an entry next to the Inn. The map also shows the button works of William Foley Hall, which is also listed at no 29. in the 1873 directory.
mike

Map_Brittania_court2C_st_pauls_square_1890.jpg

Thank you very much Mike! Although that is pretty much what I expected, it is great to get confirmation.

Now I've got to try to find a pic ...

Regards

Paul

Back