• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brewers store

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
does any one remember brewers store,It was on the same side as aston station, After the war they sold ex wd junk. I was still at school then ,and we bought the old field telephones,the ones with a wind up generator inside, What fun we had with them,this was around 1958

One of the Fletchers had the same sort of store in Avenue road, was working at Lucas in Chester St at the time and spent many a happy dinner time in one or the other place. Bought lots of junk with good intentions but it normally went intio the bin a bit later

What I remember most of all about those old WD phones was getting a mate to hold the bare ends of the wires and turning handle of the generator. It was a quick and easy way of learning the high jump. The only thing is I didn't buy mine from Brewers, but from a place on Moseley Rd Balsall Heath.

pmc1947

brewers tat

hello. thanks for reply flechers, yes i remember them the best shop if you could call it that was in lester st.nechells they had m*a*s*h ambos and jeeps etc, a better quality tat

What I remember most of all about those old WD phones was getting a mate to hold the bare ends of the wires and turning handle of the generator. It was a quick and easy way of learning the high jump. The only thing is I didn't buy mine from Brewers, but from a place on Moseley Rd Balsall Heath.

pmc1947
hello, me and my mate in phillip st aston 89-91 conect 2 together and i hid mine
under the bed one day mom could hear a bill dinging,She found it and went mad.She though next door was buggin us

Re: brewers tat

hello. thanks for reply flechers, yes i remember them the best shop if you could call it that was in lester st.nechells they had m*a*s*h ambos and jeeps etc, a better quality tat
Phil. Pete. I remember Fletchers in Great Lister Street not too long ago selling car parts ect which I think had become obsolete. I miss browsing around that shop.

Fletchers was still there last time I went past. I remember Fletcher's daughter in the 60s, smart lady, used to drive a white Spitfire with personalised reg

Was Brewers Frank Brewer?

I remember Brewers really well, me and my mate used to buy ex-army stuff from there including headphones for our crystal sets. What was the name of the sweet shop either next door or near, we bought all our sweet there when we were kids?

I do believe it was the same Brewers whos son had a ten-pin bowling team in the sixties. The team was called Brewers Auto Spares. I played for W.J.Law and we were called The Lawmen, and another team I remember was called The Sherbourne Rubber Bouncers. Brewers Auto Spares played mainly at ther Wylde Green Bowl.

My sister worked for Freddie Brewer at his breakers yard in Gravelly Lane.Erdington in the 60s.

It was his son Brian who had the bowling team at the Wylde Green Bowl(formerly the Pavilion cinema).

He used to drive a big American car.

Last edited:
I didnt know him too well, my boss used to bowl at wylde green with brewers autospares and they went to USAF bases around the Oxford area. Then the Americans would play a return game at Wylde Green. Then for some reason my boss, Johnny Law started his own team to advertise the family firm and we played at the Warwick bowl on a regular basis.

Back