• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brearley St Court House,

pamhol

master brummie
I am researching Manton Family and have come across an address of Brearley Court House in the Parish of St George, Aston Manor on the 1841 census. Does anyone know what this address was? There is a Brearley Street in Aston and I wondered if the Court House is connected.

I think the address is more likely to be Brearley Street,Court 1 (for instance) house 3 and Brearley Court house is probably a mistranscription,or the number is missing off the original document.I always look at the original and check the address,by looking at the neighbours' addresses!
In 1841 there were in excess of 20 Courts in Brearley Street.

i note that in your other thread on thomas Manton, an address was Brearley Street Court 30 House 4,
In case it is of use , I attach an 1890 map with what i am pretty sure is court 30 in red. The PH is The Kings Head. at no 125/ court 29 os between nos 120 and 125, and the next court after the Kings Head is the one in red. this is assuming that there were no great changes between 1841 and 1890.

map_c_1890_ct_30_east_end_Brearley_st_.jpg

Thanks both for replies. I have come across 2 possible relations living at no.4 and no.5 Brearley Court House in the 1841 census. Another is said to be born at Brearley, Warks on the 1841 census but on the 1851 census the same person is said to have been born in what looks like Warwick St. Aston. I have found a place called Brearley, Warks which is near Stratford on Avon and also Brearley Street so I presume sometimes the information given is not always accurate........thanks again.

Back