• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bradnock Family

bradders

My surname is Bradnock. I am descended from Ernest Bradnock, Ernest travelled down to London from Birmingham in the 1880's as a young man and married a London girl. I am the fourth generation of Bradnock's to be born in London.

Ernest was born to Joseph Bradnock and Harriet in 1869. Joseph is my 3 greats grandfather and lived in Vittoria St in Birmingham in 1881, he was born in Tamworth in 1836 and I believe he married Harriet in 1857. Joseph and Harriet had 5 children including Ernest, they were...

James & Samuel, who were twins and born in 1858.
Thomas, born in 1862.
Rosina (lovely name), their only daughter who was born in 1864.

In the 1881 census entry for the family many of the children are listed as Jewellers, which is interesting. Joseph was a Gas Fitter by trade.

I don't know anything more about my Bradnock family in Birmingham so if anyone could help me that would be much appreciated.

I think this may be Joseph's family in 1841...
Birmingham -Warwickshire
Parish: B'ham (St Paul)
Living: 13 Crt Edmund St

BRADNOCK Samuel M 35 Gass Fitter Jrnymn
BRADNOCK Susan F 35
BRADNOCK Emma F 15
BRADNOCK Maria F 10
BRADNOCK Sally F 10
BRADNOCK Joseph M 5
BRADNOCK James M 2
The whole family born Warwickshire

Thank you Pomgolian, your post is extremely helpful.

So Joseph named his twin sons after his father and younger brother, there also seems to be a 'twins thing' going on as Joseph's sisters Maria and Sally are both the same age.

Thanks again.
Bradders

Hi Bradders.
Think we might be related (distantly).
Joseph Bradnock married Harriet Crowder 23.12. 1855 at St Peter & Paul, Aston. Ernest was their youngest son.
You mention twins which is interesting as every generation of Crowders has twins passed down the maternal line as far as my grandmother & her sister whose mother was Esther Crowder.
Don´t have much info about the Bradnocks, but will let you have what I know if you like to get in touch.
Marion

Hi Marion

Thank you for your reply to my post. I am directly related to Joseph and Harriet, don't really know too much about them both. I have had one previous contact related to the Crowders so you are the 2nd. I would very much appreciate it if you would share any information about Joseph and Harriet. I am very aware of the twins thing going on with the Crowders, Joseph an Harriet did have 2 sets, Samuel & James and Rosina & Harriet. Samuel & James moved down to London with Joseph and Harriet in the 1880's and Harriet married a Birmingham lad. Unfortunately, there is nothing for Rosina in later life.

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Kind regards,
Andy

Hi Bradders.
Think we might be related (distantly).
Joseph Bradnock married Harriet Crowder 23.12. 1855 at St Peter & Paul, Aston. Ernest was their youngest son.
You mention twins which is interesting as every generation of Crowders has twins passed down the maternal line as far as my grandmother & her sister whose mother was Esther Crowder.
Don´t have much info about the Bradnocks, but will let you have what I know if you like to get in touch.
Marion

Hi Andy.
Harriet´s father James Crowder was brother of my g g grandfather. He married Ann Maria Smith 16.2.1833 & they had 12 children. A grandson of theirs Philip emigrated to America & Philip´s father (also Philip) is buried in Key Hill cemetery.
James & John´s parents were William Crowder & Hannah Gittins. They married 7.4.1806 & had a total of 7 children. Hannah died in 1820 & William returned to Wellington, Shropshire where the family originated & married Hannah Blanton in 1822. They had 8 more children.
Considering they had such enormous families, it´s very difficult to find other descendents. There was another Crowder family in Birmingham in the early 1800s but contact with their descendants has proved that they were not related.
My tree is on Ancestry. If you can access it, I will open it to you so you can see what info is there.
Marion

Back