• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Blew St off Brewery St close to Newtown Row

BordesleyExile

master brummie
Is anyone able to post or direct me to any pictures of Blew St, off Brewery St close to New Town Row?I would love know what the general area looked like.
John Milner, a member of my family, lived at No 95 and ran the Sir Charles Napier pub from at least 1871 - 1891. I am aware of a picture of a pub of the same name pictured on this site, but the location is different.

hi bordesely excile. my dad was born in blews st in 1929 at the globe pub which is still very much up and running... i may have one pic of the street but will have to search for it... i will get back to you if i find it.

regards.

lyn

thanks for that pic john.. the pub the sir charles napier would have been on the same side as the globe which in number 35..as bordesley excile states the napier was number 95. i am sure i had a pic of a row of houses in blews st but do you think i can find it ?? hope i do as i cant for the life of me remember where i got it from...

astoness

Thank you both, Astoness & John. That picture helps create a picture of the area where John Milner lived and it means so much. I had been searching for a photo for a long time.

hi shirley...ive found this pic of back of number 22 blews street...its not much of one but i reckon it tells its own story...

lyn

john... so thats where i saw the pic of blews st..i knew there was another one...i remember now that i gave someone that copy and didnt save the pic.... thank you very much....

lyn

Hello Lyn,
Was it you who was looking to find where Ashted Place was ? if so -it was Prospect Row, I have the same pic with the caption underneath,from Alton Douglas book
Birmingham a look back.

o crikey john.. it rings a bell.. you see i not only search for pics for myself but also others and i cant off hand remember who it was with an interest in ashted place...i think there is a thread for it so would you mind posting the pic there and hopefully they will find it..

thanks again....

still looking for the vine inn... villa st...hockley...

lyn

What a superb picture, John. Thank you. It looks as though the doown pipe is broken - I do hope that the rainwater did not run down the hill into any of the homes.
I do wonder which decade of "architects" has the most to answer for.

Can anyone tell me if No.1 Blews Street West was a pub. The 1891 census shows Ernest Worsey there aand his occupation was licensed victualler, Pub. Although I know the Globe is still there, I don't suppose that whatever 1 Blews Street west was is still there.

Hi, Mike,

The thread refers to Blews St. "off Brewery St. close to Newtown Row".

I know that a Brewery Street was situated off Gt. Lister Street, and that it was later re-named Adams Street, which is where I grew up.

I take it that there was another Brewery Street near Newtown Row, which is possibly the reason why my Brewery Street was re-named?

Could you comment...?

Cheers,

Jim Pedley
icon14.gif

Hi Jim
There were more than two brewery streets. The one off New town Row can be seen in 1890 at https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10094&ox=2032&oy=2167&zm=1&czm=1&x=366&y=410. This has come up before, but i can't find the reference. Basically, other than the one that became Adams St and the New town row one, quoting from my earlier post, which i can't find: "In the early 1800s there was one off Darwin st. also, and one in Smethwick and another going from Holyhead road to Brearly St..... . I haven’t searched all the directories, but, although all these have beer retailers listed in the directories, only the one off Holyhead road seems to list a brewery at any time after 1841"
I hope that answers your question
Mike

In my old Wakelin's Street Guide there are two Brewery Streets (a) off 39 Newtown Row, Aston and (b) off 41 Holyhead Road, Handsworth.

Hi Jim
There were more than two brewery streets. The one off New town Row can be seen in 1890 at https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10094&ox=2032&oy=2167&zm=1&czm=1&x=366&y=410. This has come up before, but i can't find the reference. Basically, other than the one that became Adams St and the New town row one, quoting from my earlier post, which i can't find: "In the early 1800s there was one off Darwin st. also, and one in Smethwick and another going from Holyhead road to Brearly St..... . I haven’t searched all the directories, but, although all these have beer retailers listed in the directories, only the one off Holyhead road seems to list a brewery at any time after 1841"
I hope that answers your question
Mike

Hi, Mike,

Thanks for the information. I have often wondered how Brewery Street (Adams Street) inherited the "Brewery" handle. Having grown up there I used to ask older folk whether there had ever been a brewery in the street, but they could never tell me. So I guess I'll settle for some council decision that there were too many Brewery Streets in Birmingham, so one of 'em had to go...!

Thanks again, Mike.

Cheers,

Jim

I Remember going to the fair at Blew St Park in the 50s a couple of times. My older brother and sisters used to have to take me everywhere with them so a bit vague as i was only young.

I have relatives who lived at 10 Blews Street according to the 1911 census. Joshua Mee (b.1873) and wife Theresa Mee (b. 1873) with daughter Doris (Dolly) Mabel Mee (b. 1900) and son Albert E. Mee (b.1902). Also listed are Joshua's widowed sister and her daughter (surname: McGregor). I would be interested to see the other pictures that people uploaded here since the website was hacked the pictures haven't been restored... If anyone has any information on my family members it would be great to hear from you. I also have quite a bit of research to offer back. Cheers - Simon

Back