• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Blakenhale Infants School

johnforegate

proper brummie kid
I started school at Blakenhale Road Infants School in Sheldon on its first day. I think this was probably January 1951, which will make it it's sixtieth anniversary soon. Does anyone know of celebrations? Does the school still exist?

My first teacher was Miss Norris, who was probably 19 at the time, and faced a very large class: this was the bulge year. Afterwards Miss Tomkins, Miss Daw and Mrs Quinton, who was married to the chief constable(?). The head teacher was Miss Tomlinson.

It was a wonderful school, with its new building and new ideas in education. I didn't appreciate it at the time of course, only later when I went to a more normal school (Nansen in Alum Rock).

Miss Tomlinson took cine film and I believe it was shown on television on a previous anniversary.

I miscalculated the date, which should be January 1952, so we've a year to go yet.

I did learn basic arithmetic at Blakenhale Road, but I must have forgotten it!

I started school at Blakenhale Road Infants School in Sheldon on its first day. I think this was probably January 1951, which will make it it's sixtieth anniversary soon. Does anyone know of celebrations? Does the school still exist?

My first teacher was Miss Norris, who was probably 19 at the time, and faced a very large class: this was the bulge year. Afterwards Miss Tomkins, Miss Daw and Mrs Quinton, who was married to the chief constable(?). The head teacher was Miss Tomlinson.

It was a wonderful school, with its new building and new ideas in education. I didn't appreciate it at the time of course, only later when I went to a more normal school (Nansen in Alum Rock).

Miss Tomlinson took cine film and I believe it was shown on television on a previous anniversary.
I started at Blakenhale Infants School in September 1953. I remember the names that you mentioned but only since you wrote them down. I remember that I particularly liked Miss Daw. At the time that I started there was a small pool at the front of the school but after a boy walked out of class and went into the pool it got drained and made into a sand pit. I remember the class being sad about the loss of the pool. I have no idea why as we were not allowed in it.

Back