• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Walking Club - circa 1950's

tony sammons

My father, Charles Sammons, completed a London to Birmingham road walk, of some 200 miles ,back in the 1950's as a participant from the then "Birmingham Walking Club. I have a paper copy of photo taken outside the Bham Council House, Victoria Sq, where my father and 3 other walkers, C Wakeman, HJ Forbes,B Osborn.

In total 13 walkers took part in the walk aged from 20 - 50 years.

As I understand it the Birmingham Walking Club, no longer exists, and is now possibly part of Birchfield Harriers, or similar. The walk was part of the clubs 50th celebrations

I believe that the newspaper cutting is from a London publication,

Do you know of someone, dept ,who would perhaps know more about the Birmingham Walking Club, its origins, etc, etc, so I may be able to find further information and maybe even contact relatives of the walkers shown in the photo , along with my father

Hi Tony,
I've only just found this sight and was looking for info.on Birmingham walking club when I saw your letter about your father.my moms brother Colin campbell was a member of the club and I have a Souvenir programme of the 27th. National 20miles road walking championship on Saturday May 11th.1946 (the day my wife was born) the Birmingham team included my uncle and two walkers who you mentioned C.Wakeman and H.J.Forbes who won the race

Back