• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Tube Company

JasonB1967

I am trying to find any information on the Birmingham Tube Company based in Birmingham. My Great-Grandfather had worked there but in the 1921 census he stated he was out of work and his last employer was the Birmingham Tube Company. He was a Steel Tube Annealer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
I am trying to find any information on the Birmingham Tube Company based in Birmingham. My Great-Grandfather had worked there but in the 1921 census he stated he was out of work and his last employer was the Birmingham Tube Company. He was a Steel Tube Annealer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
As Pedrocut said it was more than likely Tubes ltd where your Great Grandfather worked and probably in the Draw Bench department or the Forging Department both departments did the process you mention.

steel pipe annealing.
During the annealing process, heating the pipe to austenitic temperature region which is approximately above 750°C. Then allow heat to be uniformly distributed in the pipe, lasting time may vary depending on the pipe size and then switch off the heating source and cool it inside the furnace.

The photo is of the charger in the Draw Bench Department which would be loaded with long lengths of tubes and placed in long furnaces to be annealed.
The guy in the photo bending forward is my dad Bob Collingwood

Attachments

• E6B47FF6-FB6D-4C51-BFE0-DB85CB0BA36D.jpeg
    E6B47FF6-FB6D-4C51-BFE0-DB85CB0BA36D.jpeg
    786.2 KB · Views: 11
The photo is of the charger in the Draw Bench Department which would be loaded with long lengths of tubes and placed in long furnaces to be annealed.
The guy in the photo bending forward is my dad Bob Collingwood
my uncle had a job on the draw bench,he would put a swaged tube in the jaws press a lever the tube was pulled through a die and was reduced in size

Back