• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Streets - photographs

Mr Zippy

master brummie
Hi,

I am trying to add interest to a family history I am currently working on by adding photographs of the roads my ancestors lived in. However, many are changed due to clearances etc. Are there any good sources for old photos/histories of streets, ie when housing was cleared. I am particularly intersted in:

Howe Street, Great Russell Street, Hyde Road, Henry Street (balsall Heath), Northwood Street, Clifford Street, Brearley Street West and Gerrard Street.

Thanks.

Hi Mr Zippy

I probably have photo's of some of those locations that may be of use to you. I'll sort some out and post them, but I have never heard of a Henry St Balsall Heath. Would that be Charles Henry St or Henry St Nechells?

Phil

Mr Zippy

Here are some photo's of the streets you are after, I suppose a good place to start your search would be Birmingham Central Library. Other than that it means getting hold of photo books of the local area and searching through those. There are many fine books about from people like Carl Chinn and Alton Douglas. Its just a matter of looking. I have been collecting for over 10 years now. I still find photo's I haven't got every day. ( If you run your mouse over the photo's, it will display the locations).

Baron

I have five photo's of Upper Thomas Street, sadly not one of them show the school.

Phil

Attachments

• Deritend Curzon St Howe St.jpg
    Deritend Curzon St Howe St.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Ladywood Hyde St 1968.jpg
    Ladywood Hyde St 1968.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Lozells Clifford St Lozells.jpg
    Lozells Clifford St Lozells.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Newtown Gerrard St  - Wheeler St 1967 .jpg
    Newtown Gerrard St - Wheeler St 1967 .jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Newtown Great Russell St (2).jpg
    Newtown Great Russell St (2).jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 9
Many thanks Phil,

These are very good. Photos of Howe Street seem hard to find. My great great great grandfather lived here from 1830s to the 1870s and therefore I am particularly interested in this street.

Henry Street was I think renamed Oldfield Road.

I have leafed through the Carl Chinn books, but the roads I mention do not appear to feature.

Cheers.

Dave

Oldfield road is shown on the 1880 OS map as Henry st, and the street seems to be only half built, but name has changed by 1913
mike

It just goes to show that you continue to learn every day of your life. I know Oldfield Rd well and I know people who have lived in Oldfield Rd. The one thing I never knew is that it used to be called Henry St.

Does anybody know the reason why the name was changed?

Here's a photo of a corner shop at its junction with Woodfield Rd, I remember this shop. The second one is taken on the day of the Coronation of King George VI, I don't remember that.

Phil.

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Oldfield  Rd Corner Shop.jpg
    Balsall Heath Oldfield Rd Corner Shop.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Balsall Heath Oldfield Rd Coronation Day George VI .jpg
    Balsall Heath Oldfield Rd Coronation Day George VI .jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 11
Back