• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Sound Reproducers BSR

It had never occurred to me that BSR had Birmingham origins. Tended to associate most sound products that I used when I was listening to music in the 1960s were either from Japan, Holland or Germany. Viv.

main-qimg-26f8be163a60c713906d74e7885c8761-lq

I bought my first proper hi-fi from Norman H Field in Hurst Street. BSR deck and Wharfdale Speakers class acts. JVC amp kept the price down. I managed to eliminate an earth hum. BSR was a big step up from passed on Dansettes. Fairport's Liege and Lief played loud.

Although it was called Birmingham Sound reproducers, non of the factories were actually located in Birmingham!

There were three factories in Old Hill/Cradley and one in Stourbridge, which are all in the Black Country, there weren't even any Brummies working there that I can remember of! Most were good old Black Country folk, which back in the day was in the county of either Worcester, South Staffs, or Warwickshire! (It had been individually all three when I was a youngster) It certainly was Never Birmingham, saying that would probably have caused a riot!

I also seem to remember one factory being in Ireland.

I worked at both Garratts Lane and (Stourbridge temporary) between 1975 & 1977, happy days..

View attachment 188723
Happy days! HiFi News reviewed the model I owned in the 70s in 2019 and it stood up well. https://www.hifinews.com/content/bsr-bds-80-turntable
BSR’s cast and balanced turntable was a major design advancement and allowed for constant speed and consequently a more pure sound which is significant with classical or orchestral music. In about 1979 or so I purchased a new system and went with a Sony deck, CD and cassette players with Bose 901 speakers. I looked hard at the BSR table. which were being phased out.
Now living so close to “music city” turntable are all the rage and buying vynil records is a must have!

Back