• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham pub's - 1920's (ish?)

Samantha L

Brummie babby
Hi All,

I know this is a long shot, and unfortunately, its the best photo I have, but focusing on the frosted glass, do you think this says Ansells, AAA Trade Mark?? 1722797383289.png 1722797419705.png

definately an ansells pub...no sure now what the AAA stands for but i bet someone will know...may i ask the name of the pub and where it was ?

lyn

definately an ansells pub...no sure now what the AAA stands for but i bet someone will know...may i ask the name of the pub and where it was ?

lyn
Hi Lyn,

Unfortunately I have no idea about any of the details.

I was given a photo of one of my ancestors and noticed the detailing on the frosted glass. I know the person in the photo was living in Aston in 1911 if that helps narrow it down?

Hi Lyn,

Unfortunately I have no idea about any of the details.

I was given a photo of one of my ancestors and noticed the detailing on the frosted glass. I know the person in the photo was living in Aston in 1911 if that helps narrow it down?

hi samantha...could you post us the full photo please we maybe able to help identify the pub...also could you give us the name of your relative

lyn

Last edited:
thanks...the way he is dressed suggest hes a pub landlord but i see on the 1911 he is a brass dresser .. on the 1939 he is a brass turner so maybe he just liked to dress smart to visit the pub...sadly not much chance of finding out which pub

lyn

thanks...the way he is dressed suggest hes a pub landlord but i see on the 1911 he is a brass dresser .. on the 1939 he is a brass turner so maybe he just liked to dress smart to visit the pub...sadly not much chance of finding out which pub

lyn
Thank you Lyn. You've been most helpful :)

The 1912 directory lists 5 licenced premises in Rocky Lane. The only one named was the Royal Exchange. That was an M & B pub. No 81 was mentioned as an off licence in 1919,. That leaves nos 37, 70, and 85 . That is pubs whose address is Rocky Lane. there is also The Golden Croos, on the corner with Lichfield road, which was Ansells. The Hen & Chickens at 129 does not appear to be listed, so must have been built later, and anyway was also M & B

Back