• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Panoramas

BordesleyExile

master brummie
Panoramic views of Birmingham, especially important for those of us researching family at a time when other records were scarce:

The last one is interesting and has been on here before but there are new members who may not have not seen it. It's a panorama taken from somwhere about where Electric Avenue is now...looking towards the Hall and Church. On the left (horse and cart) may have been Aston Park Water Mill and perhaps Salford pool.
The other group would be from about where Darwin Street and Leopold Street are now...there is even a bit of park left.

Thanks for locating the artist's viewpoint, Rupert. I had been reading about how wet the area was with run off from Birmingham & Bordesley. This picture illustrates the vulnerability quite well.

good pictures bordesleyexile. I also lived where you do I lived in Pretoria Road and went to cherrywood school

just caught up with this thread...what lovely views shirley and once again its hard to imagine the areas like this....

thank for taking the time to post them...

lyn

Here are two further panoramas, both by Buck. I'm afraid the pages wouldn't stay down, and they were too big for a scan.The East panorama is dated 1753 and the one from the south west 1731, but this is the dates they were advertised.

panorama__south_west_prospect_birmingham_B.jpg

panorama_east_prospect_birminghamB.jpg

Hi Mike: I have those two prints beautifully framed. One is over my living room fireplace. The other in my office. I bought them from a gallery in Birmingham in 1977 and my husband framed them. Thanks for posting them. Is it true that Birmingham is built on seven hills? I know Rome is.

The pictures are from " A Prospect of Britain , The Town Panoramas of Samuel & Nathaniel Buck" by Ralph Hyde ,pub 1994 Pavillion books, unfortunatey not using very good paper.It has a long interesting description of the series of 83, of how they were drawn, and notes on each.
Mike

I hadn't really thought about it Shirley. I bought it years ago. Unfortunately, as i said previously, the paper is not very good and already yellowing at edges (though not as much as would seem from the photo, which is more yellow than the original).

the key is in th writing on the bottom, some has come out on the photo, a lot has not. I'll try and scan the bottom part with the key tomorrow, but its a little difficult due to the size of the book.

Rupert
Had some difficulty in scanning the keys to the panoramas from post 8, so that it could be read reasonably, so have transcribed the details for the key, and included one comment from the book

Key (I have spelled it as the original)
South West Prospect

1. New Hall
2. St Phillips Church
3. Road to Worcester
4. The Free School
5. The Market House
6. The Parsonage House
7. Charlbury Forest in Leicestershire
8. St.Martins Church
9. Curdworth
10.Whitacre
11.Lady’s Well
12.The Manor house
13.Digbeth
14.The Bridge
15.The River Rea
16.St.John;s Chappel jn Deritend
17.Collshal (Coleshill ?)
18. Yardeley
There is a note that the Birmingham Art gallery has a drawing in pen and ink wash entitled “The West Prospect of Birmingham in the County of Warwick 1729” which is taken from approximately the same point , but the curator of the museum states that there is hardly any similarity in detail with this print.
East Prospect

1. Deritend Chapel
2. Mr.Richard’s House
3. St.Martin’s Church
4. The Market House
5. Easy Hill, Mr Baskervill’s
6. The Free School
7. The Tea Warehouse
8. Mr Cooper’s Windmill
9. St.Phillip’s Church
10.The River Rea
11.Mr.Cooper’s Houfe and Watermill
12.The Steel Works
13.The New Chapel
14.The Brasf Works
15.The Road to Vaux Hall
16.The work Houfe
17. The Station from which this Drawing was taken was near the London Road

Mike

I am not sure what the last comment is about...I have in the past and do now go to a lot of trouble to try and find accurate information for others to expand upon. What's the problem?
Thank's Mike.

Back