• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham in 1871

leslam

Brummie by marriage
I think that the attached map was originally included in a diary that was issued by Alfred Phillips (Brass and Iron Bedstead manufacturers). The map occupied a double page - I've stitched it together as a single map.

Hope it's useful to someone.

That is a super map you have saved. It comes out very well, and you have seamed the halves so well you can hardly see the joint. I wish the libraries always did as well.
I think I might have a go at copying that map - it must be out of copyright now. Meanwhile of course I have saved it.
I am quite fascinated to see how things were at that stage of the city's growth. An amusing name for Albert Road, Aston - long before Frederick Road was developed. It's a smashing map.
Thank you very much for making it available to us.
Peter

Thank you for that very clear map . I have saved it and spent all evening comparing it with Google Earth. Much more interesting than whats on the TV. Thanks again.

I was interested as it showed the viaduct from bordesley to the coventry line connected . I always understood that they were never connected, Can anyone comment?
Mike

Mike Jee,
Well done for spotting the unfinished railway viaduct connection near Curzon Street. If I were a betting person I would stake a penny or two on the viaduct never having been completed. In the few last years I have strolled around the area, and moreorless satisfied myself that the last few spans could not have put in because I could find no trace of the supporting brick piers, while there is still evidence of other building on the site.
Peter

Back