• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham - a History in Maps, the book by Paul Line

Shortie

master brummie
On the Samuels Bradford's map of 1750, at the top of Snow Hill on the Colmore Row side, there is something called a 'machine'. in 1778, Thomas Hanson's map shows another 'machine' at the Snow Hill end of Gt Charles Street. Has anyone got any idea what these machines would have been? I am completely puzzled.

Shortie,
The 'machine' was a public weighbridge. I believe the first one was owned and maintained by the Parish, but I imagine that the Streets Commissioners took over the responsibility some time after they were formed in 1769. I have read something about them somewhere. I will have a look round and ee if I can find out anything more for you.
Peter

Thank you Peter. That makes complete sense, and something I had not thought about. I look forward to hearing more if you find it. Thanks again.

I've traced what I was looking for, but it occurred much later. The fifth and last Act of Parliament obtained by the Street Commissioners was passed in 1828. One of the clauses provided that "whereas in one of the principal streets or throughfares leading from Birmingham to Holyhead, called Snow Hill, there is a public weighing machine belonging to the Guardians and Overseers of the parish of Birmingham, which occasions great interruption and danger to the mail and other coaches, and also to persons travelling on the said road, and carts and waggons that continually are standing there and obstructing the free and safe passage along the said road", the Commissioners were authorised to remove the weighing machine, and to construct another in some more convenient place.
I thought it had been moved down Snow Hill to Great Charles Street long before then. It's nowhere to be seen on the map of 1839, so I imagine it was soon replaced by something in the new market facilities and/or in the public offices in Moor Street.
Peter

Peter, thank you so much for this. Although I had not thought of it before, a public weighbridge would have been essential in those days, and I can also understand it would be in the way at Snow Hill. I remember in the 1950's the corner was narrowish, so given the weight of traffic two hundred years prior it would have been quite an inconvenience. It's funny how a small matter like a public weighbridge can make more sense of your own family history - some of my family were carters of various kinds, and would have probably used a weighbridge.

According to Pye "Weighing machines were introduced by John Wyatt, in 1761, and the first was purchased by the Overseers in 1767, so that the profits might reduce the poor rates. It was situated at the top corner of Snow Hill, and so much did the Overseers value it, that they gave notice, (Feb.18th, 1783) of their intention of applying to Parliament for the monopoly of securing "the benefit of weighing out coals to the town." John Wyatt also
first designed a machine for the spinning of cotton, but Arkwright’s version was more successful.
Mike

That's interesting, Mike. I presume that James Wyatt is the one with his brother Samuel who did the work on Boulton's house?

Shortie,
It was nice to meet you earlier today at the Black Eagle.
This was the other reference that I was talking about - excerpts from J A Langford ‘Century of Birmingham Life, 1741-1841’:

"In 1752 we read that the weighing machine was bought by the Overseers, and that the profit was to be devoted to the relief of the poor, and the diminution of the poor rate, or the poor levy as it was then called. The announcement of this sale was made on 20 January 1752: —
'Whereas the Proprietors of the Upper Machine for Weighing of Carriages, in the Town of Birmingham, have disposed of the same for the Benefit of the Poor of the said Town: This is to give Notice: that if any Person or Persons indebted to the said Machine, neglect to pay their respective Debt or Debts, to Mr. Thomas Cecill, Attorney in Birmingham, within the Space of six Weeks now next ensuing, they will be proceeded against according to Law for Recovery of the same, without further Notice'.
And on February 17, the Overseers issued the following Notice: —
'Birmingham, Feb. 17, 1752.
Notice is hereby given That the Machine for Weighing Coal (known by the Name of the Town Machine,) is the only Engine now standing for that purpose; the other Machine being purchased by the Overseers of the Poor and will be taken down. That the Town Machine may answer the Design of its first Institution in as ample a Manner as possible, every House-keeper therefore will receive an Advantage by encouraging this Machine, since the Poor's Levy will annually be reduced in proportion to the Profits arising from it; and in order to prevent the deceitful practices of Coal-Heavers, it is determined to reduce their Number to Twelve; that they shall be Men of known Characters, and be distinguished by a Brass Badge, number'd, and bearing the Letters T. M., but upon any illicit Practice, they shall be deprived of their Badges and Employment, and their Places filled up by the Nomination of the Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor. And, in order to suppress the Imposition which Purchasers have frequently suffer'd from a large Bottom of small Coal, it is determined that no Payment shall be made for any Coal under one Pound Weight, but all such shall be measured by the Coal-Heaver attending (who will be provided with a Bushel for that Purpose), and for every such Measure, Half a Hundred shall be deducted from the Load; but instead of Half a Hundred in each Ton for Draught, only One Quarter of a Hundred will be allowed.
N.B.—The Coal-Heavers will appear in their Badges on Monday, the 24th instant. All complaints to be exhibited at the Workhouse, before the Overseers of the Poor, on Friday in the Afternoon'."

Not a lot of information, but it helps build up a picture.

Peter Walker

Hello Peter, it was nice to meet you, too. Thank you very much for this extract - I had thought the weighbridge was for general use and not just for coal. It just goes to show how much different our lives are today - the more I read, the more I realise that our ancestors would not have a clue if they were alive today, and vice-versa. I have printed this off and will keep it - you never know when it will come in for some use. Best wishes, Shortie.

Back