• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bingham

steveo

WEDNESBURY GUY
Looking for any information on the Bingham family. Moved to St Martins, Aston/Deritend areas of Birmingham about mid 1850's. I would love to hear from any Bingham's who are out there.

Hi steveo

Lots of Bingham families in Brum, we will need names, places they came from etc

bren

Hi Bren
Many thanks for the quick response. I was just closing everthing daown after hours of finding nothing! Well bear with me I hope this does not get too boring for you.

My Binghams originate from Old Swinford. Some stayed there, my branch moved to west Bromwich in the mid 1850's. My 5th Gt grandfather was Joseph Bingham born to John & Elizabeth Westwood in 1761.
His brother George married a Phebe Walker in Old Swinford. They moved to B/Ham in about 1780. They had 9 children; John 1773, Samuel 1776, George 1778, Joseph 1781, Ann 1783/ 83, Mary 1784, Susanna 1787/88, Benjamin 1789 and John 1793. They were all born in B/Ham apart from first two.

John 1795, I think married a Sarah Hill in 1917, and they had two Children. A George 1818 & Ann 1821. Ann married a William Thompson 1843. In 1851 Census, John Bingham 58 yrs. Chelsea Pensioner. Living with his Daughter Ann & Son in Law William Thompson. St Martins Dist. ? Milk St.
In 1861, he is living with his son George & wife Ellen ? , in Oak Rd. West Bromwich. John dies in 1862.

Benjamin 1879 married a Sarah Pedley Oct 1810 @St Martins Church. They had 6 Children, Willaim 1813, James 1815, John 1817 these 3 were all christend at St Martins. Sarah 1819, Ellen 1821 & Richard 1824 were all christend at St Johns. Deritend.

I believe William 1813 married a Lucy ? . .

I also have a John Bingham born Lye. Worcs 1877, Son of Elisha & Sarah Bingham. Living at 4 Stretton Rd. Aston. Married to Helen ?. He is working for the Fire Service. I have been trying to find information about the fire brigade at about this period of time.But have found no record of any marriage.

Their thats what I know. Any information would most certainly be appreciated.

Steve

Here's William (1813) family in 1841. (ages in this census were rounded up and down).

Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire
Civil Parish: B'ham (St Martin)
Address: Bishop St
Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born
BINGHAM William M 25 Fire Iron Maker Warwickshire
BINGHAM Lucy F 25 Screw Maker Warwickshire
BINGHAM Maria F 5 Warwickshire
BINGHAM Abel M 3 Warwickshire
BINGHAM Isaac M 8m Warwickshire
BISILL Sarah F 87 Warwickshire
ARCULUS Elizabeth F 20 Screw Maker Warwickshire

Pom

Last edited:
This looks like Ann and William Thompson and more Binhams in 1841 Census:
Address: Meriden St
THOMPSON William M 25 Caster Warwickshire
THOMPSON Ann F 23 Warwickshire
JONES Thomas M 79 Warwickshire

Also living in Meridon St at another household are;

Address: Meriden St
BINGHAM Thomas M 44 Clock Maker Warwickshire
BINGHAM Ruth F 45 Warwickshire
BINGHAM Charlotte F 28 Warwickshire

Pom

Very many thanks, Pom. for the information you have sent me. Very kind of you and a great help also.

Steveo

Back