• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bham 1918 Absent Voters List lookup (please!)

Chris_Baker

master brummie
I would be eternally grateful if someone with access to the 1918 Birmingham Absent Voters List could look for this chap for me. I am afraid that his address is not known other than it was in Birmingham.

Pte 29584 John Rafferty, Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Any confirmation of his address or other details would be wonderful.

Hi,
Can't see the John Rafferty you are looking for, here is the list:

1918 St Martins & Deritend Ward 785046 RaffertyJohn 26510627, L/Cpl, D Co, 7th Leic RBRADFORD STREET
1918Market Hall Ward 1704584 RaffertyJohn6 court 35036 Pte, 21st MGB ESSEX STREET
1918St Pauls Ward 4731880 RaffertyJohn435225, Pte, 1st KRR LENNOX STREET
1918St Marys Ward 1255372 RaffertyJohn6 court 25225, Rfn, 1st Batt, KRR NEW SUMMER STIREET

Last edited:
Not what you are asking for, but:
29584 John Rafferty, 2/6 battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment, born Ballinasloe (Galway?), formerly 40517 South Lancashire Regiment, address on joining St Helens, Lancashire.
Died 12 April 1918. No known grave. Memorial panel 2/3 Ploegsteert Memorial, Comines-Warneton, Hainaut, Belgium.

Thanks, Lloyd. Both yours and Maccas info confirms that 29584 is not the man I am after. It is quite possible that one of the others on the AVL list is.

I have now discovered that my soldier lived at Milton Grove, off Grange Road in Selly Oak. Does that imply he would be on a different Absent Voters List?

Does that imply he would be on a different Absent Voters List?

No, but the criteria for voting eligibilty might explain his absence from it. He would need to be over 21, and have lived in the property for 6 months (it was a full year before the 1918 Representation of the People Act, which also gave women over 30 the right to vote).

Re: Bham 1918 Absent Voters List lookup

Having read this I now understand why I cannot find my thomas smith 1595 on the absent voters list. Alas he was born in 1897 so not eligable to vote.
Thank you for eliminating one of my problems.

Back