• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bham 1836 spoon.

Nicola C

proper brummie kid
Good evening everyone.

I have been going through my grandparents posessions and come upon an antique spoon and I am strangley drawn to it. I have attached photos, the tag says William II, Bham 1836. I am interested to know if anyone has any insight to share xx

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-07-19 at 19.03.00_1078bf87.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-19 at 19.03.00_1078bf87.jpg
    807.4 KB · Views: 25
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-07-19 at 19.03.00_12344f1e.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-19 at 19.03.00_12344f1e.jpg
    718.6 KB · Views: 25
lovely nicola...i wonder if anyone can make out the hall mark on the spoon to find out the maker..looks like it could be silver underneath all that aging..

lyn

Hi,

Not easy to see the maker's mark - the monarch's head and the lion are furthest from the top of the spoon.
The Birmingham mark is plain enough, but perhaps the date letter is clearer looking at the spoon itself. It
should be a fancy capital A. The king would be William IV.
Maybe shining a light at an angle on the centre characters would show something - cleaning often destroys the
remaining 'shadow' of the marks.

Kind regards
Dave

Hi,

Not easy to see the maker's mark - the monarch's head and the lion are furthest from the top of the spoon.
The Birmingham mark is plain enough, but perhaps the date letter is clearer looking at the spoon itself. It
should be a fancy capital A. The king would be William IV.
Maybe shining a light at an angle on the centre characters would show something - cleaning often destroys the
remaining 'shadow' of the marks.

Kind regards
Dave

Back