• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bertha Ratley

Laura Barker

knowlegable brummie
My great nan Bertha Ratley born in Pebworth in April1894 is a mystery to us.

She married John Collett in 1914 when pregnant with Frederick Collett, who passed prematurely after 7 days. In 1923 she had my grandad Stanley Collett and in 1925 gave birth to Janet Collett.

From looking at the 1925 electoral roll we know that Bertha had already left John and their two children as they were living with his Aunt and Uncle Gertrude and William Baker at 35 Willes Road. Gertrude and William went onto adopt Stanley and Janet after John died in 1933.

Two years ago I was contacted by someone via ancestry who was trying to find out who their mothers mother was. Turns out Bertha Ratley had a baby in 1929 and had abandoned her in Cofton Park. We have completed a DNA test to confirm this.

What I'd like help with is finding out what happened to Bertha after she abandoned the baby. We can't find any trace of her, no death certificate, not on the 1939 census, nothing. We think she may have changed her name, or something else.

My dad and his brother and sisters now have a half cousin who we are now in contact would, however they would like to know what happened and so would we.

Thanks
Laura x

I think the only chance (slim) you may have is to get her birth certificate and search for Berthas on the 1939 Register with her dob and hope that she is still using her own first name.

I think the only chance (slim) you may have is to get her birth certificate and search for Berthas on the 1939 Register with her dob and hope that she is still using her own first name.
I have her birth certificate and she's not on the 1939 census using her real name. I doubt we will ever know. Thanks

Back