• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Berrow / Devey Family

MWS

from Bham
That's interesting, thanks.

I can't make out the signature of the second witness on the marriage record - but the surname is definitely Berrow. If the parents died in 1872 and 1877 it may have been Robert or Clara if we have the correct Berrow family.

Did you mean to type "Henry Charles Berrow" or was that a typo for "Charles Henry Berrow"?

Can you elaborate as to which addresses William and Julia were living at in 1871 please?

I did mean to type Henry Charles, originally because that is how he appears on his baptism.

It could be a C but I'm not certain. I do think it's the correct family. Another sister and brother also moved to Bham and Henry is with his brother Robert in 1891.

There's not much more I can say about the 1871 census, I can't see the scans just the transcripts on family search but...

William Berrow is listed in All Saints, Hereford and St Martin, Hereford with her father, James Davies and 4 children. Robert is already in Bham.

I did mean to type Henry Charles, originally because that is how he appears on his baptism.

It could be a C but I'm not certain. I do think it's the correct family. Another sister and brother also moved to Bham and Henry is with his brother Robert in 1891.
Its odd, his marriage record and my Gran's birth certificate both call him him "Charles Henry" but he is also listed simply as "Harry".

He is listed as a "slater", "slater's labourer", "builder" and "sergeant in the army" on various records which I have.

It doesn't help that there was another "Charles Henry Berrow" married to an Elizabeth (Guise) and many family researchers have mixed up that family with mine!

Henry and Elizabeth had a fourth child - William Clement b1891 d1892.

He also had a brother William Clement and on William's second marriage he lists his father as William Clement as well.

Henry and Elizabeth had a fourth child - William Clement b1891 d1892.

He also had a brother William Clement and on William's second marriage he lists his father as William Clement as well.
Can you give me a link to the source please?

Its odd, his marriage record and my Gran's birth certificate both call him him "Charles Henry" but he is also listed simply as "Harry".

He is listed as a "slater", "slater's labourer", "builder" and "sergeant in the army" on various records which I have.

That happens quite a bit and I sometimes think that people can get a little confused when the registrar asks them their name.

There appears to be an army pension record for a Henry Berrow b1859 Herefordshire which could explain why he doesn't seem to be on the 1901 or 1911 census.

And there's a possible death for him, reg. Sep qtr 1919 Aston listed as Henry age 59.

Back