• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Beech Tree Inn - Quinton

• Thread starter www.midlandspubs.co.uk
  • Start date
W

www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Does anyone have any memories of the newer version of this pub - did anyone go to the Warley Bowl and nip in here for a pint? Or even the cinema before that!!

Beech Tree Inn - Quinton [pic attached]

There's a good chance that a lot of locals born after 1970 will not be able to tell you where the Beech Tree Inn was located. Not this building of course, but the replacement Beech Tree that was erected in the inter-war years.

The Beech Tree name died out on July 18th 1968 when Bass re-named the building; for a generation it was known as the Bass House. In 1997 the building was refurbished and 're-branded', being called the Amber Tavern. Eleven years later it was closed and undergoing another re-branding exercise, such is the nature of pub marketing these days.

Certainly, no amount of jiggery pokery could recreate the atmosphere of the original Beech Tree Inn. Take a look at this picture and you can just imagine the rickety furniture, creaky floorboards, and maybe a nice log fire to keep you warm in the winter months. And as you can see on the wall advertisement the beers were brought in from Burton-on-Trent because the pub had been snapped up by Thomas Salt & Co, who also operated the Red Lion Inn further towards the village centre of Quinton.

Bass, Ratcliff & Gretton bought out Salt & Co in 1927 which meant that the Beech Tree eluded the local brewers and remained an outlet for beers from Burton. Long before the large breweries were involved with the Beech Tree beers were produced behind the premises. The Dixon family sold homebrewed ales at the Beech Tree Inn during the early-mid 19th century. They were in charge of the pub for much of the early-mid Victorian period.

Nowadays, the road junction on which the Amber Tavern stands is thunderously busy with traffic. However, during the time of the Dixon family's incumbency, and despite the fact that the Beech Tree Inn fronted the Birmingham to Stourbridge turnpike, the locality had few houses and was largely rural in nature. The Beech Tree Inn was a local watering hole for those living at the edge of Ridgacre and in the locale known as World's End. The name of the pub, coupled with the fact that the turnpike here was known as Beech Lanes, suggests that there was an exceptionally conspicuous example of the Fagaceae family around these parts.

Born in Solihull around 1804, Joseph Dixon kept the Beech Tree Inn with his wife Mary Ann who hailed from Derbyshire. The couple remained in charge of the pub for more than a generation.

Bewdley-born Joseph Southam was the licensee in the early 1880's. His wife Ann was from West Bromwich. The couple had previously kept a beer house in Longmore Street, Balsall Heath. Another couple to move out from Birmingham to Quinton was George and Ann Dexter. In the 1880's they were in charge of The Mitre in Baker Street.

The couple in charge of the Beech Tree Inn at the time of the photograph shown here were William and Martha Peace. The family can be seen posing for the camera towards the end of the Edwardian era. The two eldest children were called Louisa and Edith. William Peace had grown up close to the pub; his parents Joseph and Elizabeth had run Redhall Farm in the 1870's before moving to another farm in the Warwickshire village of Bourton-on-Dunsmore. The Peace family later returned to Quinton and took up residence in Beech Lanes. Following his marriage to Martha, William moved to neighbouring Warley.

Fast forwarding to the pub being re-named the Amber Tavern - the first manager to run the newly-refurbished pub was John Abeal, a congenial host from [I think] Cyprus. He made the short move from the Cock and Magpies.

Here's a list of list of post-war licensees in case anyone can remember any of them...

1940 - 1954 Herbert Lee
1954 - 1965 Robert Harold Taylor
1965 - 1973 Reginald Barrie Arnold
1973 - 1976 Reginald Boon
1976 - 1986 Ian McGregor
1986 - 1989 Ian Mervyn Astley
1989 - 1989 Anthony Paul Lucas
1989 - 1990 Noel Stephen Rogers
1990 - 1990 Donald Victor ?
1990 - 1990 Harold Wilson
1990 - 1992 Georgina Mary Yendell
1992 - 1994 Francis Joseph McCann
1994 - 1995 Garry Lawrence Chettle
1995 - 1997 Kevin Patrick McCluskey
1997 - 2003+ John Manuel Abeal

Cheers
Kieron www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Attachments

• Quinton Ye Olde Beeche Tree Inn Hagley Rd West c1900.JPG
    Quinton Ye Olde Beeche Tree Inn Hagley Rd West c1900.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 43
Hi Pub Historian (do you have a name?) Yes, I remember the Beech Trees Pub at the top of Wolverhampton Road South and the Warley Odeon picture house. I used to go to the 'pictures' with my Mom and Dad late 1940's and 1950's, so we passed by the pub. I didn't go inside the pub - too young!!! On Sunday afternoons we would walk from Worlds End Lane to the Holly Bush pub and watch the men play bowls, then carry on past the Beech Trees pub on our way back home. You brought back happy memories Pub Historian; thanks for that.
Anthes:)

Hi, I know where that pub was - used to go to the Warley Odeon on occasions - beautiful art deco cinema. And the Holly B ush I knew very well - although I never went in too young - I used to go to a milk bar opposite the Holly Bush after the cinema - Odeon, Quinton - on a Sunday night.
Sheri

Thanks for sharing your memories Anthea and Sheri. Cinemas seem to evoke memories with many folk - my local was the Royal in Cradley Heath. I can remember the cheap seats at the front - there was a silver strip across the carpet that marked the limit of your cheapness! It was around Row 6. Of course, we'd try to sit a little further back but there was a very stern attendant who would flash his torch at us and chuck us back in the cheap seats. I think he was called Norman and he was only about 5ft but as kids we did as he said.

Anyway, I have meandered a little here.... not being a Quinton expert does anyone know where the name World's End originated and why the area bordering Woodgate was called this? The name crops up in a number of places around the UK.

Kind regards
Kieron
www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Kieron, If you have a look at the Quinton Local History Society's website www.qlhs.org.uk Professor Carl Chinn, who is the Patron, makes mention of Worlds End in his 'Introduction'. There are lots of interesting tales and photographs. Well worth a look.

Anthea:)

Thanks Anthea but I'm still none the wiser - there must be some reason other than remoteness for such a name to be applied. I can only think that it was applied to the boundary of the area. This has been suggested for another example in Handsworth. There was another one near Tamworth at Amington.
Kind regards
Kieron

Thanks Anthea but I'm still none the wiser - there must be some reason other than remoteness for such a name to be applied. I can only think that it was applied to the boundary of the area. This has been suggested for another example in Handsworth. There was another one near Tamworth at Amington.
Kind regards
Kieron

Hi Kieron,

Perhaps in the dark ages of Birmingham,
they still believed the world was flat,
and that once you ventured up yonder Hagley Road,
into Quinton, anything past was the World's End!

Perhaps the origin of "Worlds End" lies in its position on the edge of the Black Country, together with the image that the area had with many in the nineteenth century. "Wonderful Britain", a 4 volume work published I guess about 1925-1930, quotes a bishop travelling through the night (presumably by train). He dozes off at Birmingham and " wakes with a jolt at Tipton, gazes at the pandemonium, and falling on his knees, cries aloud "Not yet, Oh Lord! not yet!" "
mike

I live about 5 minutes away from the Amber, been there for lunch a couple of times. It was OK, & quite a pleasant atmosphere & friendly staff. I didn't know it years ago, so can't compare with any of your older emories. When I moved here about 15 years ago, I was told by one of the neighbours that Quinton used to be all open countryside, and the buses from Birmingham terminated just down the hill from the Amber, at the pub that was then called The Hollybush - it's now a tarted up berni inn or something, but still a lovely old building from outside. There's still a local newagents called Hollybush in the shops opposite. I was told it's called Worlds End because of the terminus and that's where the town ended. Don't know if any of that's true, but it sounds nice.

Millie

I live about 5 minutes away from the Amber, been there for lunch a couple of times. It was OK, & quite a pleasant atmosphere & friendly staff. I didn't know it years ago, so can't compare with any of your older emories. When I moved here about 15 years ago, I was told by one of the neighbours that Quinton used to be all open countryside, and the buses from Birmingham terminated just down the hill from the Amber, at the pub that was then called The Hollybush - it's now a tarted up berni inn or something, but still a lovely old building from outside. There's still a local newagents called Hollybush in the shops opposite. I was told it's called Worlds End because of the terminus and that's where the town ended. Don't know if any of that's true, but it sounds nice.

Millie

Also isn't Qunton, reckoned to be as cold as it is,
because it is the highest point looking directly West
from The Ural Mountains in Russia.

Thanks to everyone who have responded to this thread - and also for the links. The Quinton local history group seem to be a very industrious lot. I hope some of my findings are of use to anyone living in that area. I'm heading off to Sparkbrook next for my next bit of research.

Kind regards
Kieron

I worked at the Bass house when Barrie Arnold was the landlord , think he went to the Bell in Harborne afterwards ??

I think we are related to the Peace family especially William and Martha not sure how but my mom is from Warley and her maiden name is Peace. Be great to see photos of them if there are any

Does anyone have any memories of the newer version of this pub - did anyone go to the Warley Bowl and nip in here for a pint? Or even the cinema before that!!

Beech Tree Inn - Quinton [pic attached]

There's a good chance that a lot of locals born after 1970 will not be able to tell you where the Beech Tree Inn was located. Not this building of course, but the replacement Beech Tree that was erected in the inter-war years.

The Beech Tree name died out on July 18th 1968 when Bass re-named the building; for a generation it was known as the Bass House. In 1997 the building was refurbished and 're-branded', being called the Amber Tavern. Eleven years later it was closed and undergoing another re-branding exercise, such is the nature of pub marketing these days.

Certainly, no amount of jiggery pokery could recreate the atmosphere of the original Beech Tree Inn. Take a look at this picture and you can just imagine the rickety furniture, creaky floorboards, and maybe a nice log fire to keep you warm in the winter months. And as you can see on the wall advertisement the beers were brought in from Burton-on-Trent because the pub had been snapped up by Thomas Salt & Co, who also operated the Red Lion Inn further towards the village centre of Quinton.

Bass, Ratcliff & Gretton bought out Salt & Co in 1927 which meant that the Beech Tree eluded the local brewers and remained an outlet for beers from Burton. Long before the large breweries were involved with the Beech Tree beers were produced behind the premises. The Dixon family sold homebrewed ales at the Beech Tree Inn during the early-mid 19th century. They were in charge of the pub for much of the early-mid Victorian period.

Nowadays, the road junction on which the Amber Tavern stands is thunderously busy with traffic. However, during the time of the Dixon family's incumbency, and despite the fact that the Beech Tree Inn fronted the Birmingham to Stourbridge turnpike, the locality had few houses and was largely rural in nature. The Beech Tree Inn was a local watering hole for those living at the edge of Ridgacre and in the locale known as World's End. The name of the pub, coupled with the fact that the turnpike here was known as Beech Lanes, suggests that there was an exceptionally conspicuous example of the Fagaceae family around these parts.

Born in Solihull around 1804, Joseph Dixon kept the Beech Tree Inn with his wife Mary Ann who hailed from Derbyshire. The couple remained in charge of the pub for more than a generation.

Bewdley-born Joseph Southam was the licensee in the early 1880's. His wife Ann was from West Bromwich. The couple had previously kept a beer house in Longmore Street, Balsall Heath. Another couple to move out from Birmingham to Quinton was George and Ann Dexter. In the 1880's they were in charge of The Mitre in Baker Street.

The couple in charge of the Beech Tree Inn at the time of the photograph shown here were William and Martha Peace. The family can be seen posing for the camera towards the end of the Edwardian era. The two eldest children were called Louisa and Edith. William Peace had grown up close to the pub; his parents Joseph and Elizabeth had run Redhall Farm in the 1870's before moving to another farm in the Warwickshire village of Bourton-on-Dunsmore. The Peace family later returned to Quinton and took up residence in Beech Lanes. Following his marriage to Martha, William moved to neighbouring Warley.

Fast forwarding to the pub being re-named the Amber Tavern - the first manager to run the newly-refurbished pub was John Abeal, a congenial host from [I think] Cyprus. He made the short move from the Cock and Magpies.

Here's a list of list of post-war licensees in case anyone can remember any of them...

1940 - 1954 Herbert Lee
1954 - 1965 Robert Harold Taylor
1965 - 1973 Reginald Barrie Arnold
1973 - 1976 Reginald Boon
1976 - 1986 Ian McGregor
1986 - 1989 Ian Mervyn Astley
1989 - 1989 Anthony Paul Lucas
1989 - 1990 Noel Stephen Rogers
1990 - 1990 Donald Victor ?
1990 - 1990 Harold Wilson
1990 - 1992 Georgina Mary Yendell
1992 - 1994 Francis Joseph McCann
1994 - 1995 Garry Lawrence Chettle
1995 - 1997 Kevin Patrick McCluskey
1997 - 2003+ John Manuel Abeal

Cheers
Kieron www.midlandspubs.co.uk
I went to the Odean cinema when I was 10 yrs old, later when it became a bowling alley and later still the Bass house.

Back