• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bass Street

janeld

master brummie
Could someone please tell me where Bass St and Bass St West, were situated in birmingham..Thankyou

janeld

Any idea of the district, or a date, there was a Brass St in Newtown that ran from Summer Lane to Newtown Row. Is it possible it could be that?

Phil

I have looked at the census again and it still looks like Bass to me
its 1891,
Mary elizabeth Clarke born 1856 coventry.
Jane cooknill Born 1833 coventry
Maud lilian Clarke Born 1885, b'ham
,RG12, piece 2386, folio 45, Page 12..
birmingham, St Georges
As everyone up and down the street are working with gold and silver it could be in the jewelry quarter area.
(My husband thinks it could be Barr St )

Barr St makes sense, its smack in the centre of the jewelry Qtr

yes thanks Mike, some of the handwriting on the census sheets is awful. good job they weren't in my english teachers class. We got very sore knuckles for turning out scribble like that lol

Having now seen the page I can understand why you see it as 'Bass'.
However, if you look at the 'r' in 'Court' before it, the 'r's in 'Barr' are almost identical, certainly the same sweep of the pen nib. Very poor writing.

Just a thought, if you can check on the Census the " Near - by " streets then it will give a clue as to the exact location.
I guessed it may have been BRASS Street until I saw the writing which is why I suggested the above.

just check on the roads around BARR ST if as you say they were in to gold & silver then the area on this map may help (MAP dated 1945)

I did try going back and forth through census but the whole of that folio is the same street.
Thanks to the map posted by Baron I am now sure it is Barr St ,the Census lists the area as St Georges, Just to the right of Barr St is St Georges church.
Thanks all for your help :)

Back