• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barn street.

ASTONITE

master brummie
I have just obtained a birth certificate from 1892 and it registered in the sub district of St. Martins. The address is 6, court 4, Barn St, USD. I have found a map, has anyone any further information?

Hi Astonite

Barn Street runs from Bordesley Street to Fazeley St in Deritend. It is still there today and the last time I was down that way all the housing and back courts were gone and it was completely industrialised.

Here is a snap of a back court in Milk St which is a continuation of Barn St. The person you are researching probably lived in a very similar court you will note they were a type of maisonette / flat.

I also have attached an OS map with a little detective work you might be able to pick out the house.

Phil

DeritendMilkStFlats.jpg

StreetPlanBordesleyBarnSt.gif

Amazes me how how across the span of time that people can have incidental connections. My relatives lived at 14 barn Street in 1891.

hi coop bill,regarding your great grandad living at 44 i worked at marathon contracts ltd whose premises were at the same address,obviously on or around the same site.

Back