• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Balsall heath rd kings norton

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
HI CAN ANYBODY GET ME OR SHOULD I SAY A REFERENCE TO WHAT TYPE OF HOUSES OR WHAT TYPE OF HOUSES IN BALSAL HEATH RD WAS LIKE IN
1862 WAS THEY LARGE OR SMALL BACK TO BACK HOUSES IS THERE
ANY MAP REFERENCES OR A CENUS,S FOR THAT PERIOD OR HOW MUCH
COULD ONE BUY ONE FOR ANY INFO; WOULD BE GRATEFULLY Revceived
Have A Nice Day Every body , Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;;;;;;

Hi Astonian

Relating to Balsall Heath Rd, It would depend on which end of Balsall Heath Rd we are talking about. The upper end was in Balsall Heath and the other was in Edgbaston. It ran from Moseley Rd to Pershore Rd andthe housing got steadily better as you approached the Pershore Rd.

If you follow this link,

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2869&highlight=balsall+Heath

You will find a few photo's of Balsall Heath Rd that were posted by others and myself they start at about post 141.

Phil

Hi philand wendy
many thanks for your replys, today , i cannot state which end of the balsall heath rd she was ,and i did not know it also came from the edbaston endas well you said there was to types of dwelling from one end to the other well after hearing that i would presume that being wealthy people .or should i say wealthy parents and big land owners
as the records show in the libary across worcestershire lands registry
and there big farm holding i would say it must have been the edgbaston end ,and not being the orininal red light area as i must admitt
when my dear old mother would tell us about as she tryed to recall in her days of pondering and reflecting her mistakes in life and choosing the wrong person in life and how all her family connections went out the window and by being disowned by the parents and cousins whom i will not mention because of there postions they hold ,[ sorry phil for
waffling off , ] butting getting back to balsall heath rd
as i have previously asked about as i cannot recall where the balsal heath was or his , thats where maria jelf was statied as living
when she had her son george , when she went to visit her father samuel jelf on the day of cencus in whichenford worc at peg farm
forty acers of land and some shops ,but any way phil,
is there any way of getting a numberered house for that period
on balsal heath there was no number mentioned on the certif;;
just the name of the road and thats where george jelf was born and it was him and his inhertinance in later on in life that when he got older and married and had is own kids down in honeybourne bretonford worc with land and the family farms started to supply there own shops ,cafee,s and selling provisonswith his sons during the war that made them money ,and built there coffee shops up
phil i have down loaded the birth certif ; of maria jelf , when she had george born , with the details of balsal heath rd so you cannot see the number of the dwelling ,here, s to hope you could trace if you get time many thanks astonian ,;;best wishes astonian ;;

Astonian

I have no resources for genealogy, I haven't even bothered to trace my own. Too many dark secrets I fear. I have no access to census information or the like.

I am sure that if you are only looking for a house number then someone with access will be able to find it for you pretty easily.

Phil

hi phil
many thanks any way and a big thanks for the info ;on telling me
on your previuos thread abut the two ends of balsal heath rd which i truely
DID NOT KNOW ABOUT MANY THANKS ASTONIAN ,

Astonian
In the 1862 Whites Directory only houses up to no 34 are numbered. hese look as if they reach just before Varna Road, going from Bristol road. There is an Ann Jelf listed just after the end of the numbering, and , assuming the names are in order one would expect her to live just after Varna road, though I do not know which side, as this is not made clear. By 1898 she is no longer there. I cannot find any Jelfs in balsall Heath road in the 1861 census.
mike

If it is any help, the Edgbaston end and the roads off were the Jewish area. The Calthorpe estate, which owned Egdbaston, sold building land/houses leasehold and so kept control, establishing a sort of 'buffer-zone' between the palacial residences and the much cheaper areas like Balsall Heath. Here landowners sold plots freehold and developers crammed houses in in order to maximise profits.
Ted

GOOD MORNING MIKEAnd foxy
Many Thanks To You Both For Your Preciuos Time You Have Given Me And With Preciuos
Information , Mike Was There Any Old Maps Around To See This Balsal Heath Rd
I Can recall This Varna Rd But I Cannot Imagine Which One Was Balsal Heath Rd Coming From Bristol Rd Was Belgrave Road In Excistance Or Invented In Those Days, As I Have Previuosly Said I Worked Around TheArea Just AfterThe Was On Contracts Around The Old Balsal Heath But For The Love Nor Money I Just Cannot Place This Rd In My Mind,And Also I Have Been Trying To Establish The Origin Of The Name ,Of
Jelfs , Where Does It Orinianate From From Country I Have Often Thought It May Have Been Of A Jewish Orinin ,And When Foxy Said About The Jewish Qaurter I Started To Question Is Jelf A Jewish Name ?, So When Maria Visted Her Parents In That Year Down In Wichenford And With A Child At The Age Of 15 Years Old
She Was Probably Sent There To An Aunt To Save Face Of The Family Because Of Being Pregnant And Unmarried If My Memory Serves Me Right There Was A ANN Jelf ,
And I Think She Owned A Cottage In Brettoonford Honenybourne And When She Died She Left It To One Of The Jelfs And Eventualy Ernest Jelf , ENDED uP wITH iT And Eventual Sold It To His Brother And Even Today There Is A Jelf Member Still Living In That Cottage ,WWell Mike I Have Got To Shoot Off But Will Speak Again Soon Once Again Mike Thanks A Million , Have A Nice Day Despite The Weather Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

Re: Balsall heath rd kings norton

Astonian
Don't have a map around that period, but here is one about 1913. Balsall heath road is diagonally accross the map, with Calthorpe park on the left
Mike

balsall_heath_road_A_c_1913.jpg

HI MIKE
MANY THANKS FOR PUTTING THE MAP UP ON THE THREAD
I WILL STUDY IN DETAIL LATER AND THEN DOWN LOAD IT
THANKS AGAINMIKE YOU ARE A TRUE GENTLEMAN AND A STAR Through And Through
Now i Can Progress Further . Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

Back