• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Baker

K

KathK

I know this is probably a long shot but I'm having problems finding anything out about my great great grandfather.
All I know is his name was Charles Baker and he was born in Birmingham c.1838. At some point he moved up north where he married Jane Hoggarth in Burton, Westmorland in 1864 and went on to be the toll keeper at Shap. The only other information I have is that his father was also called Charles.
If anyone can help I would be extremely grateful....thank you.

In the 1841 census there is a charles Baker (11 months) in lee bank . also in the house is a charles baker (25), whose occupation looks like J. Beef Pounder(!) , and charlotte baker (25) and sarah baker (20) who looks like a Diefs Maker , That is the only one of the 7 charles bakers listed in warwickshire with another elder charles in the house. It is unfortunate that relationships are not given or house numbers.
Mike

In 1851 there is a Charles Baker born 1841 living in Wolverhampton Staffordshire, his parents are Charles a Brass Founder and Charlotte, they have been living in Wolverhampton for between 4 & 5 years, as the youngest child is a year old and the only one of the family to be born in Wolverhampton, the child nearest in age is 5 years, born Birmingham.

I assume you have seen Charles Baker age 23 on the 1861 census, a farm servant in Selside and Whitwell, Westmorland born Birmingham.

Thank you both

I have found the Charles Baker born in Birmingham and living in Selside in the 1861 census. I think that is where I estimated his birth year from. He is the only Charles Baker born in Birmingham but living in Westmorland that I could find so am assuming it is the right one. His marriage certificate doesn't give his age, just says full age.

The two census records that you have both mentioned from 1841 and 1851 do seem to tie up.....beef pounder/brass founder. I'd say that brass founder is right and that diefs maker is actually dress maker.

Charles marriage cerificate to Jane in 1864 shows Charles snr as being a labourer so maybe I can find him somewhere in the 1861 census that would back that up.

All I need to do now is try and find out when and why Charles jnr moved up north. Could be hoping for the impossible there though.

Thank you for your help

Kia Ora Kath
Greetings from New Zealand!
Do you happen to have a CHARLES ALFRED BAKER born June Q 1897 who married Eva Mary BYRNE in 1922? Eva is my rellie and as I am going forward (!) I would love to know what happened to the couple!
Marlene

hello marlene, i dont know if you already have the addresses from the electoral roll??

in 1927 charles alfred and eva mary baker 105 bankes rd. small heath
they are also listed at 135 little green lane, small heath for the same year!

in 1930 105 bankes rd.

in 1935 11 hobmoor croft, yardley through to 1955

Thank you Shera - great stuff! Eva Mary had her Stephens cousins living in Little Green LanWell done & thankse & I have Hobmoor Croft from Eva's mother's death cert so a very tidy outcome!
Well done and thanks for the thought!
Marlene

Back