• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Baker family canal bargees

Pedro42

master brummie
My great grandfather, William Baker, was a bargee around Saltley during the 1870's/80's. He was known to be off work during the 1890's due to a "Coal strike". I have not been able to find him on census returns for 1851/61/71/81. Is there a link anywhere for census returns for bargees in Birmingham? Does anyone have any information relating to the coal strike at that time? Was the coal brought into Saltley mainly for the production of coal gas?

Pedro, If you can give us his age, or approx' year of birth and even other names of family member's, we may be able to find him for you.
:great:

Pom :angel:

Bargees

Tend to be recorded on census returns if tied up to a wharf on census day. Less likely to be recorded if in transit. Some canal workers in the Birmingham area worked day boats and would live on land.

Birmingham Reference Library has listings of canal boats under the Canal Boats Act c1877. These give name of boat, owner, occupier if different i.e. who lives on board, usual route(s), cargo etc.

[SIZE=+1]Pedro could this be them ? Could your William have had older children from a first marriage? It was the only family I could find with a young William who would fit in with the eldest son in 1891. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]1881 Census[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Household:[/SIZE]
William BAKER Head M Male 42 Birmingham, Warwick, England Laborer

Mary Ann BAKER Wife M Female 32 Birmingham, Warwick, England

Catherine BAKER Daur Female 13 Birmingham, Warwick, England Scholar

Elizabeth BAKER Daur Female 10 Birmingham, Warwick, England Scholar

Sarah Jane BAKER Daur Female 4 Birmingham, Warwick, England Scholar

William BAKER Son Male 2 Birmingham, Warwick, England

[SIZE=+1]Source Information:[/SIZE]
Dwelling Court 3 No 1 House
Census PlaceBirmingham, Warwick, England
Family History Library Film 1341714