• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bakehouse in Yardley (mid C20th) help please

CurtisKelleher

Hello everyone,

I’m researching my great-grandmother, Evelyn Lomas, who was born in 1932 and lived at 11 Fellmeadow Road, Yardley, Birmingham her entire life. Her death certificate states her occupation as a bakehouse worker, and she passed away in 1969.

Evelyn married in 1950, and from that point on, she was known as Evelyn Bagshaw.

I’m trying to find out more about the bakehouse where she worked during her lifetime. If anyone has information about local bakeries or bakehouses in Yardley during the mid-20th century, or if you know of any resources or archives that might help me in my search, I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards, Curtis

Hello everyone,

I’m researching my great-grandmother, Evelyn Lomas, who was born in 1932 and lived at 11 Fellmeadow Road, Yardley, Birmingham her entire life. Her death certificate states her occupation as a bakehouse worker, and she passed away in 1969.

Evelyn married in 1950, and from that point on, she was known as Evelyn Bagshaw.

I’m trying to find out more about the bakehouse where she worked during her lifetime. If anyone has information about local bakeries or bakehouses in Yardley during the mid-20th century, or if you know of any resources or archives that might help me in my search, I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards, Curtis
Welcome to the Forum Curtis, enjoy!

hi curtis...could be difficult as your enquiry is quite recent in years but maybe some members could locate possible bakeries she could have worked at...i can see evelyn on the 1939 eve of war register with parents and 5 or 6 siblings but she was only about 6 years of age then so that wont help us much

lyn

If I remember correctly Hardings ‘Steam’ Bakery was on the Coventry Road just down from the Swan island on the left going out of town.

PS See thread

Hardings Royal Steam bakery​

Last edited:
as i said earlier i think it will be very hard to pin point where evelyn worked...it could have been for a large bakery or a smaller one...pretty much guess work i think

lyn

Back