• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

BAD MEMORIES FROM SCHOOL

• Thread starter Thread starter DAVE BRICK
  • Start date Start date
D

DAVE BRICK

I have lot's of bad memories from school, here's just a few,
Cononut mats, Bullies, Uniform, Logarithms, School toilets, Maths, Assembly, P.T.
I could go on and on....sad is'nt it.

I've just thought of something else we were made to do when we were playing up in class - putting our hands on our heads, it never seemed much bother to me then and even today I still occasionally find myself sitting with my hands on my head - I find it quite relaxing.

Never had any bother about school. Had the Cane when I deserved it, well what did you expect when Prefects had wellington boots on (See Friends Reunighted Hastings Road Perry Common I'm on there age 11.)I loved school and National Sevice so there :P

Like you Alf I loved school. There were a couple of teachers who singled me out for a bit of aggro, but in the main it was good. :)

I neither liked or disliked school. :coolsmiley: Thinking back, the many times I was punished I well deserved it. :knuppel2: I s'pose I could've got into even more trouble if I'd gone more often. :uglystupid2: It could be the teachers breathed a sigh of relief when I didn't turn up. :buck2:

I loved every school I attended.

What was very embarassing for me occured in my senior school........we had a credit and debit system, so if you did good deeds or worked hard, you were awarded credits..........bad behaviour resulted in debits............

Each month in assembly the people receiving credits and debits were identified..............

At the end of term of my forth year, I was awarded my very first debit..........for taking the mickey out of a teacher, showing off really - and quite rightly so - but I was mad that I was awarded the debit and did not receive it graciously.

In the final assembly of that term, next years house captains deputys etc... were also being named........As my name was called I stood up ready to receive my debit and the glares of the other pupils....only to find out that I had been nominated as Head Girl for the following school year.........the debit I had received had been erased, and although I was relieved that I had escaped the embarassment of it all, I recall glancing over to the teacher, who had obviously decided to withdraw the debit from my record. I immediately felt the most upmost respect for her.

Her action taught me so much

Bad news SuBee, someone's just given you a Debit on here. :knuppel2: I hope this time you will take it graciously. ^-^

Well Sue, we did not have credits or debits at Deykin Avenue, and a good job too.
I can imagine if I were to have got a credit and were identified in assembly, I simply would have been bashed up as soon as I stepped into the playground. That's how it was there. No wonder we had a job to learn anything.

The day I will never forget at school was during my last year and I was a prefect, much to my surprise. There was a staff meeting, and it was prefects to our class's. I was prefect over a first year lot, and they were pretty naughty, and decided to test me. They did just about every thing a girl of eleven can do to misbehave. They jumped over desks, hit each other, shouted, threw pencils and books. I really was at my wits end, until the head girl appeared- Between us we managed to marched them all out of the classroom, and line up in the hall with their hands on their heads. They were still shouting, until our headmistress heard the noise and came out of the meeting to see what was going on. One word from her and you could hear the silence. Their form teacher lined them all up up next morning and one by one they had to say 'Sorry Diana'.  :-[

I can only think that there were not any bullies or intimidating other kid's at the schools that Di & Alf attended.
I faced bullies and intimidation each and every day, I would not go into school early but wait outside the school gates until the bell went, then I could go in and straight into the classroom where the teacher was present and I got some protection.
And no, I was'nt some sort of weakling or stood out from the crowd, most of the time I used to try and keep a low profile, but the bullies wanted something to do and there you are.

There were bullies at most of the schools I went to, trouble was most of them were teachers!
Some day soon I'll tell you all what life was like for a poor kid at Grammar school, then you'll know what bad memories are.

When I lived in Nelson Road, kid's from King Edwards ? Grammar school used to walk down Nelson Road on their way home, we called them Grammar Grubs, but not to their faces. They were all smart in full uniform. Of course we had it all wrong, they were the smart ones they had passed the test to get in, we were the dopey ones.

DAVE BRICK said:
When I lived in Nelson Road, kid's from King Edwards ? Grammar school used to walk down Nelson Road on their way home, we called them Grammar Grubs, but not to their faces. They were all smart in full uniform. Of course we had it all wrong, they were the smart ones they had passed the test to get in, we were the dopey ones.

Come off it Dave you are still doing it now about the Footballers ::)

DAVE BRICK said:
I can only think that there were not any bullies or intimidating other kid's at the schools that Di & Alf attended.

No there was no bullying at any school I went to. It wouldn't have been tolerated in those far off days. Most of the teachers I had were fair and kind, you either liked or disliked them, and they you, but they had total respect. If anyone answered back, Lord help them. Bullying would have meant the cane, and eventually a child would have been expelled. One girl in my school went down the school cellars to chat up some chaps painting the school, she was taken home and we never saw her again.

It's so sad that some of you lads had such a bad time.

I HATED P.T.

I'm still baffled by coconut mats, were they supposed to save and protect you or give your skin a good grazing by taking a couple of layer's off. The only thing I could do in P.T. was jump on the box and jump off, some clever dick's could do a gambole on top.

Well Primary at Cowper St nr Summer Lane was good,then ,,Woe & alas became a Grammar Grub :-X

The walk or bike road home was "eventful" through Aston,,, usually 3 fights a week,,well this 12-13 year old was a local lad but in "different clothing,,,oooh (Colors L A,,a la mode) ::)

Didn,t pass the "A" in Geography,, Parents,couldn,t afford or I couldn,t steal the books off the "Sutton chosen"

German was easy,,The rich kid never used to put his name in the front cover >:D
Some of the "Local Lads" got shocked by a "grub" that used to never back off,,Oh,,daft Eh :idiot2:

My elder sister used to drag them off me then beat the crap out of her class mate lads of Summer Lane School,,,then drag me home to Mom to repair my uniform,,my bruises were less expensive,Caps & ties & shirts ,,oooh Cost eh!

Heh there are "Bullies" of many guises,,some are "Oh,,& where do you live?",,"What is/does your Father do?","oh,why is your uniform so scruffy & torn?,,Then swirl away in Gown & Mortar Board :-X
Whoa,,prefer the punch up anytime :coolsmiley:

Any one for tennis?,,Oh maybe a debate on Plato,,Oh,,ok a punch up,,Suits You Sir :idiot2:

My younger sister sadley no longer with us used to do the same God Bless her :smitten:

What about the woodwork lesson, it took me 8 weeks to make a stool. Everytime I started a new lesson someone had pinched parts of my stool and I had to start again. Does anyone remember the wood glue, it was the same stuff in the pot all the time and you had to boil it up to make it stick.

I can remember one full term making wooden shields. Not your flat style but curved ones that had a matching curve from top to bottom as from one side to another. Each one took a couple of lessons to make and there were three of us on the task.
Reason: The Geography teacher decided that he wanted to adorn the walls of the hall with shields denoting the coat of arms of all the countries of the Empire. Cannot say how many, now, there were then but there were an awful lot before we let them go.
The Art class had the job of drawing and painting them. They were then returned to our domain to be varnished.

Bet they ended up on some school bonfire many moons ago now... and I was proud of them

You could'nt have a wee or anything else in break time at Deykin Avenue. Thats because the bullies used to spend all their break in the toilets smoking and they were there to get you if you walked in.
No one did anything about it during the four years I went there. The only way I could go to the toilet was put my hand up in lessons and then get told off by the teacher for not going during break.

No wonder I've grown up a bit vengeful and screwy.

Di.Poppitt said:
DAVE BRICK said:
... One girl in my school went down the school cellars to chat up some chaps painting the school, she was taken home and we never saw her again...
She was abducted by the painters, eh? ::)

I was smacked on both cheeks of my rear for picking roses off the school tree,i was only a todler in junior school and my mom went ape at horrid Ms Boone the head teacher.she was a right moo ...

Best days of our life :tickedoff: i dont think so horrible times :tickedoff:

Back