• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Back to back houses Goodrick Street Francis Street & Clarendon Street

Em1906

proper brummie kid
Hi

I'm looking to see if anyone has any maps of the followings streets which would show where the houses below were:
5 back 17 Goodrick Street
1 Court 24 (Back of 207) Francis Street
6 House, Court 1 Clarendon Street

Many thanks!

Goodrick St (lower left), Francis St (middle left), Clarendon St (lower left) from 1950...

0 - Goodrick St.jpg 0 - Francis St.jpg 0 - Clarendon St.jpg

Clarendon Street from the air, I cannot remember the year, but if you look at the map which MWS posted , you should be able to see the house you are asking about, I was born and raised in Clarendon Street and knew it like the back of my hand, On todays map you will find that this bit of area ( where your house is ) is now part of Aston Manor School

Attachments

• 119646346_10221826882088531_4246895678439147142_o.jpg
    119646346_10221826882088531_4246895678439147142_o.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
EM1906, Who are you looking for and what year if you don't mind , I may be able to pin point them for you, the only court in Clarendon Street was on the even side in the cul-de-sac, but there were other back of in the street but not many.

Strange, I can't see a court 1 on Clarendon St. In 1889 there are courts 2, 4 and 6 and by 1950 just court 6 remains.

EM1906, Who are you looking for and what year if you don't mind , I may be able to pin point them for you, the only court in Clarendon Street was on the even side in the cul-de-sac, but there were other back of in the street but not many.
I'm looking at the 1901 census - Josiah and Louisa Stanley

Em1906, Its not Clarendon Street, its Claverdon Street you require, when checking out Josiah and Louisa I must admit that the census reads or looks like Clarendon Street, but Clarendon Street came under St Marys and not the one stated and certainly not under Duddleston either, sorry I cannot help you any further . good luck

Em1906, Its not Clarendon Street, its Claverdon Street you require, when checking out Josiah and Louisa I must admit that the census reads or looks like Clarendon Street, but Clarendon Street came under St Marys and not the one stated and certainly not under Duddleston either, sorry I cannot help you any further . good luck
Ah that's useful to know - thank you!

You can see court 1 on the map, but it is not very clear. It seems to be an alleyway with houses either side. I am not quite sure which houses are included, as some could be on other courts. But electoral rolls of 1920 state there were 9 houses in the court. I have put the court area on map in red, and marked what I would guess houses were in blue, but am not certain of the latter

map c1889 claverdon st showing area of court 1.jpg

I wasn't sure if that belonged to Claverdon St because the next long one to the left of it is listed as court 2 and there's the other area listed as court 2 as well, which would make 2 court 2s?

I went by the fact that there was no entrance into the court 2 from the alleyway marked court 1, but was an entrance to all the coloured areas from that alleyway. There was an entrance to the care marked court 2 from the alleyway marked court 2. It does seem a rather peculiar way of labelling them

Back