• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

AVERY SCALES HISTORY

Yes Tinpot. Sean confirmed this in post #66. I wondered in any case if the interior would be that interesting. In more recent times it’s been office space/training rooms, so I expect anything of interest was ripped out years ago. The later rear additions (now gone) didn’t look too interesting either.

I like the ground floor level shop front - hopefully there’s one under the metal shutter. Looking forward to seeing it uncovered.

As we’ve gone through this excavation with the help of Sean’s photos (thanks) I now understand why the frontage is being saved. Its also more hopeful in that some of the less obvious historically valued features/buildings are being preserved. I think it’s a positive move and no longer just a matter of ‘it’s in the way, let’s demolish it”.

Viv

When I left there in 2016 as I understood the museum was still intact with everything locked up in there..The original weighbridge was directly under the arch and you could get underneath it at one time through office access on the right hand side…who knows now the Americans got hold of i.

I only joined BHF today - should have joined a lot earlier! I'm late to this strand, but I am a descendant of the Beach family whose member, Thomas Beach, a great something Uncle of mine, was an early owner of the Avery Scales making business. I can see the topic has moved on more to archeology really, but I'll add my bit anyway in case there is interest. Thomas was my great something grandfather's brother, the family originated in Tanworth, farmers, later farmed in Shirley (Blackford House, demolished 1936). By Thomas's generation he and my grandfather Richard Beach had become involved in the metal trades, brass founders etc. Both men were apprenticed and both ended up quite wealthy from their endeavours. Because Richard died before younger brother Thomas, it was Thomas who inherited Blackford House but farming wasn't his thing so it was youngest brother Joseph who farmed. Thomas Beach bought the scale making company from William Bridgens Barton in about 1779 (from memory) and as everyone in this strand knows the business was at 11 Digbeth. Thomas did very well out of the business, well enough to be able to pass it onto an extended family member Joseph Balden in about 1794 (Joseph had married an Avery and the Averys were part of the Beach family through marriage). Joseph died in 1813, his son was only 19, and mentally unwell as it transpired, so luckily the business was passed onto William Avery (who'd married a Beach), and William Avery passed it onto his two sons William Henry and Thomas who, according to a Newspaper article, "aggressively expanded the business in the mid 1800s." From what I've read, the sons took over in 1854 and soon expanded, the Digbeth premises not being large enough for their empire building. I would think that it is around this time that they moved across the street from no 11 Digbeth, if not before. Another history article in the press stated that the Digbeth premises were retained along with the new locations (of Soho and elsewhere). Here is a very poor image from a press article in 1930, showing a replica of the original no. 11 building. It was exhibited at a trade fair as part of the celebration of Avery Scales being 200 years in the business. Although details are sparse on the image, you can see how small the original scale making building was from the two men standing on its steps. As an aside, Thomas Beach continued having an interest in the business with Balden I believe, they were close enough that when Balden Junior became mentally unwell, Thomas stepped in to help Balden Senior's widow. After passing on the business, Thomas Beach became more like a property investor until his death in 1825.

Attachments

• AVERY-SCALES-replica-1930-500px.jpg
    AVERY-SCALES-replica-1930-500px.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 20
At first I was shocked when I saw this on Streetview but on closer inspection the facade is still there. Presumably that's a supporting frame in front of the old Avery building, Viv

Screenshot_20231023_085306_Maps.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231023_085231_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20231023_085231_Maps.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20231023_085213_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20231023_085213_Maps.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 9
Back