• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

ATV Studios Broad Street Suffolk Street Queensway

• Thread starter Thread starter vickyxo
  • Start date Start date
V

vickyxo

A link to the thread about ATV Studios at Aston Cross is here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/threads/a-t-v-at-aston-cross.2545/

Hi, I was walking through Birmingham yesterday and I walked down Bridge Street just off Broad Street towards a canal bridge. And on the left hand side of the road opposite the Premier Inn, there's a huge building which looks to be abandoned and not used in a very long time. At the top of the building on the one side, it says in a red sign "Accident & Emergency" I've looked about on the internet and I can't find nothing of it.
I'm curious to know if it was a hospital or not, and if so I'd like to know a bit of history about it.
Would be great if someone could reply please, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Vicky welcome to the forum i think i know the building you are on about i think that it is the abandoned "Holiday St" car park this was closed down after a car park of the same construction collapsed in Wolverhampton it was erected in the 60s the red sign i should think is directing you towards the old Accident Hospital in Bath Row not that far away. Dek

Hi Vicky,

Are these the buildings that you mention. If so I think they are what remain of the old municipal car park and the ATV television Studios.

Phil

BridgeSt.jpg

The old Central TV studios- now closed down. The BBC Survivors programme was filmed there last year I believe and this was what they used for the hospital scenes. The A&E sign remains in place!

Thanks for the info! I have puzzled for a while why there was an A&E sign there - it does look like a hospital entrance.

Phil

The building will have been the former ATV studios, the sign was to do with a program that was filmed there the former studios are now earmarked for demolition

Hello Vicky welcome to the forum i think i know the building you are on about i think that it is the abandoned "Holiday St" car park this was closed down after a car park of the same construction collapsed in Wolverhampton it was erected in the 60s the red sign i should think is directing you towards the old Accident Hospital in Bath Row not that far away. Dek

Before the studios closed Roy Smith was the ATV transport manager. He transferred to Thames Television. If anyone knows his whereabouts that would be much appreciated. He also had a pilots licence and flew with Birmingham Aviation at Elmdon .

Before the studios closed Roy Smith was the ATV transport manager. He transferred to Thames Television. If anyone knows his whereabouts that would be much appreciated. He also had a pilots licence and flew with Birmingham Aviation at Elmdon .

as this request may relate to a living person and you can help please contact penns via our private message system...click on envelope top right of the page

thanks

Was fortunate enough to have a guided store around the ATV studios one Saturday morning.

The sets were not at all what you would expect, but it was very interesting just the same...

Back