• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Asylum/Hospital at Bromsgrove

Shortie

master brummie
One of my family died at Bromsgrove and is buried at Key Hill. It's not certain exactly what she died from, opinions differ and we have not as yet purchased a death certificate. Does anyone know if there was a hospital or asylum that was in the Bromsgrove registration area? I have now found the death of what I believe to be a family friend, again at Bromsgrove, yet they both lived in the Ruston Street area.

Shortie

Thanks Malta. I have to say I have never heard of it, but have something to go on now.

Cheers

Shortie

There was also Barnsley Hall.
Barnsley Hall Hospital was a psychiatric facility located in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, on a 324-acre site purchased by the County Council in 1899.
It opened in 1907, to relieve pressure on the county's only existing asylum in Powick near Malvern and to serve the northern part of the county.
By 1929 it had reached its capacity of around 720 patients.
Additional buildings increased its capacity to about 1,200, but it was heavily populated when it was used as a military hand emergency hospital during the two World Wars.
The hospital closed in 1996 and most of the patients were settled into the community.
During its operation it had been known as Worcestershire Mental Hospital (1929 - 1947), Barnsley Hall Mental Hospital (1948), and Barnsley Hall Hospital for Nervous and Mental Diseases (1949 - 1966) and had been administered by several different district, regional, and county authorities.
At the time of its closure, it was managed by Worcestershire county, providing a continuation of psychiatric care after the Powick Hospital closed in 1989.

Last edited:
I remember the Hospital but had forgotten the name. As an aside after the hospital closed The Motor Heritage Museum had plans to build there but could not reach agreement so went to Gaydon. They rented buildings to store and renovate the collection for some time.

Thank you Ladylinda, although that raises a couple of new questions! The person I am looking into I believed died of TB, but my cousin belived she died of scarletfever of scarlatina. I do know that mental hospitals often used to be used for chronic illnesses. I have two examples in my family of Rubery being used like this - for a lady with a serious heart condition and also for her son, with TB. I think I shall have to purchase the death certificate to be perfectly sure. I know she was engaged to be married, so a chronic illness seems more likely rather than mental illness.

Many thanks for you help.

Shortie

Hello Shortie I always thought that Barnsley Hall Hospital, was for people with TB, a neighbour of mine was there in the early 60s

Ah, thanks Liz, that confirms what I know. I think I shall have to get the death certificate eventually anyway. Holiday comes first, though.

shortie

There is also this one
Present name:Hilltop Hospital,Fox Lane Bromsgrove B61 7EG
Previous name(s):Bromsgrove, Droitwich and Redditch Infectious Diseases Hospital (1901 - c.1948)
Hilltop Isolation Hospital (c.1948 - 1952)

Yes there was a TB Hospital in Rock Hill called Hill Top I worked there for a short time there is a housing estate there now.
Barnsley Hall was always a mental Hospital my friend worked there for 37yrs until it closed the church still remains though. Powick is in Worcestershire some 20 miles from Bromsgrove. Do hope this info helps and you will up=date us all when you get a result.

My goodness - looks like I am almost spoiled for choice! Thanks Smiths, it does sound more like it was Hill Top. I will report back later.

Shortie

Could have also been Rubery, which was right on the border with Bromsgrove. Some of my ancestors lived in Callow Brook Lane (listed as Bromsgrove on the census 1901) which would be around where New Road is now, and are listed as working at the asylum, which I assume to be Rubery, which would have only been across the road.

Rubery comes under the Kings Norton registration district - my gt gt grandmother died there, the person I am thinking about has her death registered in the Bromsgrove District.

Sometimes the district can be confusing, Edgbaston comes under Kings Norton too, at least until after 1911.

Hello Shortie, Romsley hospital, very near Bromsgrove, I had a cousin in there with TB IN THE 60S,

Sorry Shortie how could I have forgot about Romsley Sanatorium it was a isolation hospital and my grandad worked there in the grounds will have to ask my mum some more info about this and see what she can tell me.

Have you any news of your relation yet?

No, no news as yet, I am about to go on holiday, so not had time to travel and find out what I want to know (I need to go into Birmingham to find out). I shall do so as soon as possible after my return. I had a phone call from my aunt today, and she said that this relation died of TB, so I am fairly sure it will be Romsley. Will let you know in probably about three weeks.

Shortie

Thanks for reply shortie and do have a grand jolly. Look forward to your up date on return.

........Viv.........

MY GRANDFATHER WAS ADMITTED TWICE IN KNIGHTWICK SANATORIUM ..WITH T.B.IN EARLY 1900s FRANCIS FRITH HAS A COLLECTION OF FOTOS AND INFORMATION ....

Old thread i know.But just to add.I did some voluntary work at Barnsley Hall in the 70,s.It was definately a mental hospital.

Was part of it used as an "Reform School", or a type of "YP Remand centre", early 60's seem to remember a lad going to Bromsgrove for 3 mths in about 62/63 time.
paul

Back