• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston - What Streets Belong To Aston

Eric Gibson

master brummie
Victoria Road and Alma Street are certainly in Aston , cant help with some of the others, My aunt lived in Victoria Road No 206 I think but not sure if she was there in 1920. Name was Ada Biddle. Grandparents (Gibson) lived at 5/13 Bartons Bank and are listed there in 1920 and 1930.
My mothers (Alice Coughlin) address was 3/75 Tower Road in 1930 and was probably there in 1920. she was born 1909. E.

Streets of Aston.

Are we talking modern day boudaries ?
A map of the present day Ward of Aston can be viewed on the Council website www.Birmingham Council.gov.org Surprised me as to some of the areas covered.

neighbours and streets

when the individual talks about Aston it's in their time span or their parents so we have to think in these terms. family history takes you back into another time span which is different again it was and is an everchanging space

Streets of Aston

Thanks for your reply, John.
I accept your comments and see your point.
However, as the request from jkc would suggest that there may be differences of opinion as to "Aston or not" for the 1920s I thought it maybe in their interest if a defined area, for that period, was available.
I am certain it would be a much smaller area than defined in the map I mentioned in my previous mail.
Lived in Burbury St. Lozells from 1939 to 1959 myself, and I am not sure if it came under Aston, at that time, or not !

Hi Eric
as you are looking at aston streets was your grand parents connected to the biddle family the money lenders of birchfield rd just along from the old six ways aston in the forties and the fifties and was grand ma gibson the owner of the chippie on victoria rd aston many years ago in the old days birchfield rd was classed as aston , best wishes astonian ,;;

At one time Aston was larger than Birmingham.

Registration of Births Marriage and Deaths for Aston between the years 1837 to 1924 included some of the following Districts.

Ashted, Aston, Aston Brook, Lozells, Bordesley, Bordesley Green, Deritend, Duddeston, Nechells, Saltley, Washwood Heath, Ward End, Erdington, Boldmere, Small Heath, Hay Mills, Stechford, Sparkhill, Sparkbrook, Acocks Green, Hall green.

Between 1924 to 1932 Aston, came under the Birmingham North Registration District.
October 1932 Birmingham North and Birmingham South became Birmingham.

Bo

Hi Eric
as you are looking at aston streets was your grand parents connected to the biddle family the money lenders of birchfield rd just along from the old six ways aston in the forties and the fifties and was grand ma gibson the owner of the chippie on victoria rd aston many years ago in the old days birchfield rd was classed as aston , best wishes astonian ,;;

Nope Aston none of those are mine.

Grandma Gibson lived in Barton's Bank and died in 1943. Grandad Gibson was a silversmith.
Ada Biddle nee Gibson was a housewife, her first husband worked at Fort Dunlop and died at work I think, not sure about that. Their son Victor was the chemist (after Saunders) in Potter's Hill and later at the Villa Cross. E.

Back