• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston in 1964

mapledurhamfox

anyone out there, I'd like to know about the area of Aston in Birmingham in 1964. I would like to know how big an area Aston was in 1964,what life was like in Aston in 1964,the atmosphere ,feeling,flavor and vibe of Aston that year and any meories and recollections of Aston in 1964.(also, I'd like to know what kind of place Aston Hall on Trinity road in Aston was like also in 1964). I really want to know about both Aston in 1964 AND Aston hall in 1964 and no other year. any info memories and reollections are truly appreciated,thanks mucho gusto.

The man you want to contact is Astonian. He can be located on the site every day, just drop him a line and Im sure he will help you. I worked in Aston in '64, but Astonian I think, was born and brought up there. Hope you get what you want.

I was born in Aston in 1930, left in 1935 and returned in late 40s, late 50s and early 60s finally leaving for good in 1962. I remember it with great affection, wonderful cheerful fairly poor people, always ready to help, great sense of humour. Seemed to be a pub on every corner. There was a lot of poverty but every house had clean curtains and shiny windows, no liiter, unfortunately it has not stayed that way and there as been a slow but steady deteriation since about the 60's and most of the original astonians have either died of or left (and who can blame them, not me) I certainly would not like to live there now, or even visit, such a terrible shame. Aston Hall as not changed over the years, in fact there is more of it open to the public now then when I was young (used to visit it regularly on both school trips and with my parents), but the Park it stands in has changed a lot, not for the better in my opinion. You query the size of Aston, I think it has the same bounderies now as it did then. I think the area round Aston Church and Aston Park was the better part to live in, I lived opposite the Park in Queens Rd next to Atkinsons Brewery (Ah, the wonderful smell of the brewery). I could write a book on Aston but Astonian could write a Volume or more, he certainly has a greater knowledge than I. Eric mapledurhamfox. a just re-read your post and note you are referring to a specefic year viz: 1964 after I had left in '62 so I have not really heped you, but will leave it on out of possible interest.

Last edited:
hello maple, in response to your enquiry, i was in 1964 growing up in aston and i think that maybe from 63/69 were the best years
of my life, although it was cosidererd to be a 'poor area' of the city there was no problem with obtaining work so most families had
a member of the family in full time employment, as far as leisure , i think aston hall was at that time free to enter, and there were tennis courts,paddling pool, hockey and football pitches. also, a number of breweries, a pub on every corner, a number of boys clubs,
and football team's to get involved with. if that was'nt enough there was access to a numerous buses and trains to spirit you away
into the big city and beyond. i'm sure that there are many people who resided in aston in the 50s are still there now,and would not
change their lot for the world. regards paul. PS. SOME GOOD MUSIC TOO.

Back