• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ashted Locks

Heartland

master brummie
The flight of locks from Curzon Street leading up to Ashted Canal Tunnel has undergone a change in recent times, as the former industrial premises were demolished and new properties are erected. Near the canal side the Unversity Locks Building provides accommodation for students and the former Canal Cottage which belonged to Fred Groves stands alone.

Leading up to Ashted Tunnel there is a new development called Glasswater Locks whose name is partly derived from the former Belmont Glassworks that stood above the tunnel. No points out of ten should be given to the person who thought up that title or the architects who have determined to line the towpath and offside of the locks with high-rise buildings.

Those that created the titles of this development, that is Glasswater Tower, Curzon Wharf, Cardigan Wharf, Belmont Wharf, Ashted Wharf, and the Cameo Works. may have drawn inspiration from consulting on line the ordnance survey, but have done little to follow the history of the area.

It is true that the Belmont Glassworks occupied the land above Ashted Tunnel and there was also a pottery here for a brief period. The site they are presently excavating near the tunnel was the location of a canal-pumping engine house now totally lost. The buildings adjacent were once part of the Electricars Ltd works before they moved to Hall Green and after the slump of 1922. Electricars Ltd was a pioneer in making electric cars, trucks, refuge vehicles, and electric delivery vehicles and the Lawley Street factory was a key part of that company's development.

When the Belmont Glassworks closed, part of the site became a timber yard, then the Coop built a bakery on the site and Electricars supplied delivery vehicles to the Co-op.

There is much more historical information out there, but seemingly the developers do not care. They may well have an eye on the massive profits they can make from these buildings when completed. As to glasswater is there such a word in the English language?

633650.jpg

I've always called that waterglass. It used to be used to preserve eggs. Never heard it called glasswater,

Yes Waterglass is how I know it also which brings me back to why name the development Glasswater Locks?

They even seem to use the term wharf in the wrong context. A wharf is a transport interchange point be it water/ railway, water/road, or road/railway. The buildings being constructed stand on the towpath side where there is no evidence of a canal basin. There indeed were wharves opposite, including at one time a canal carriers depot.

Their website includes canal images that have little connection with the Ashted Lock location. One shows the Lifford Railway interchange wharf that was owned by the Midland Railway another shows coal boats at the Old Wharf, Paradise Street.

Again illustrating what can be obtained from the internet without any proper research into the area.

This is an image of the locks before the Bakery building was demolished and the tunnel portal in the distance. On the left was a Corporation depot which included a building built before 1939. There was a concern for gas and chemical attacks and Birmingham Corporation built several such structures where people dealing with the attacks might change and shower. This aspect of history was highlighted at the time these sites were up for development, but there was little concern for this history and the buildings were demolished.

633632.jpg

The flight of locks from Curzon Street leading up to Ashted Canal Tunnel has undergone a change in recent times, as the former industrial premises were demolished and new properties are erected. Near the canal side the Unversity Locks Building provides accommodation for students and the former Canal Cottage which belonged to Fred Groves stands alone.

Leading up to Ashted Tunnel there is a new development called Glasswater Locks whose name is partly derived from the former Belmont Glassworks that stood above the tunnel. No points out of ten should be given to the person who thought up that title or the architects who have determined to line the towpath and offside of the locks with high-rise buildings.

Those that created the titles of this development, that is Glasswater Tower, Curzon Wharf, Cardigan Wharf, Belmont Wharf, Ashted Wharf, and the Cameo Works. may have drawn inspiration from consulting on line the ordnance survey, but have done little to follow the history of the area.

It is true that the Belmont Glassworks occupied the land above Ashted Tunnel and there was also a pottery here for a brief period. The site they are presently excavating near the tunnel was the location of a canal-pumping engine house now totally lost. The buildings adjacent were once part of the Electricars Ltd works before they moved to Hall Green and after the slump of 1922. Electricars Ltd was a pioneer in making electric cars, trucks, refuge vehicles, and electric delivery vehicles and the Lawley Street factory was a key part of that company's development.

When the Belmont Glassworks closed, part of the site became a timber yard, then the Coop built a bakery on the site and Electricars supplied delivery vehicles to the Co-op.

There is much more historical information out there, but seemingly the developers do not care. They may well have an eye on the massive profits they can make from these buildings when completed. As to glasswater is there such a word in the English language?

Do you have any pics of the houses in BELMONT ROW, my Mum born 1909, lived at number 50 opposite the lock keepers cottage I think, 9 of them lived in one house unbelievable, there was a Missionary also on the opposite side, my Mum went to as she was in the Red Cross, she courted my dad up the canal at the side, her sister did same with a guy she met in a road back of Belmont Len Hart, worked on the railways bottom of the road...Mum was married in Erdington Parish church 1934, her parents were also buried there...I love my heritage.

Back