• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

ASDA Queslett old Fine Fare site

Yes there was a Fine Fare there. I doubt the Asda building is the same building though, most probably a new build on the site, or at least redeveloped.

Last edited:
In 1985 it was opened as a superstore. Don't think there was a regular Fine Fare supermarket before that - the Superstore was built on the old Sandpits site.

By 1987 it had become a Gateway store.

Screenshot_20241002_112556_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20241002_111121_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20241002_111559_Chrome.jpg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Last edited:
I don't know about that site but later Gateway became Somerfield, Somerfield disappeared and their shops became B&M and Home Bargains, not much is static in the shopping scene.

Absolutely Eric. It seems Fine Fare frozen foods were taken over by Bejam. Remember them ?! From Wiki

Fine Fare was a chain of supermarkets which operated in the United Kingdom from 1951 until 1988. During the 1960s the company was the largest operator of supermarkets in Europe. Their Yellow Pack budget own-label range, introduced in 1980, was the first own brand basic range to be introduced in the UK and in 1983 it was the first British supermarket to sell organic food. The business for the majority of its existence was owned by companies controlled by Garfield Weston and his family, but were sold in 1986 to the Dee Corporation, operators of Gateway Foodmarkets with the stores being rebranded.

Hadn't realised they started up in the 1950s. I remember the yellow pack FF brand. We usually regarded these products as 'inferior'.

Back