• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Army Service Corps

ELIZABETH1

master brummie
I am trying to see what my GtGrandfather did in the war - so far I found his Medal Card at NA - William was awarded a Victory Medal as follows -

Medal card of Clifton, William
Corps:Army Service
CorpsRegiment No:T2/SR/02308
Rank Driver...

I tried to see in Ancestry where GtGrandfather William was posted during the war - so I can get some Background of what he did etc.. Ancestry des have some records BUT I can't see where he was posted etc.. the writing in there is very difficult to read (and I admit I don't entirely know what I am looking fr in these records - it's new to me) I am trying to see where he went and what he was doing during the wartime etc.. I can Make out COY but not sure what it means at all.

Is there anyone here who has more experience and knowledge than me who could perhaps take a peek and help me move on with this please.

I know the records in Ancestry are my GtGrandads because I can see the wife is Lily Knight and I will try decipher the childrens names and DoB's etc.. I recognise some of the names from research already done etc..

My Grandad survived the war But I am not sure whether he was injured - I can't understand the writing very well on his records.

I'd be grateful for any help with this. It would be really nice to know what William did.

Army Records

Hi Elizabeth1,, :) COY i think means Company in Army terms,
Your "streets of interest" that one would be Dymoke Street.

The Army does have a records office & Full records can be obtained
by "proven" relatives,,
Its called; Historical Disclosures, Army Personnel Dept,
Brown Street, Glasgow (check that address before posting).
You do have to send proof of Kinship to the personal enquiry,
does cost £25 & takes 4-5 months but is worth it to get full record.
Or,, take a trip to Kew in London, they have some Army records.

There are some "Military" knowlegeable people on here so
hopefully they advise you better soon,
Best regards John Y :cool:

Clifton records

Are you looking at Service records or pension records on Ancestry.?If you can download some sample pages and post here help will be forthcoming

Thank you John - I shall keep those places in mind.

Tucker - I found six pages in Ancestry in the pensions and service records - After discussing them with a relative (we are trying to decipher the pages content) we can see this info in National Archives

DescriptionMedal card of Clifton, WilliamCorpsRegiment NoRankArmy Service CorpsT2/SR/02308DriverArmy Service CorpsT2/SR/02308DriverDate1914-1920Catalogue referenceWO 372/4 DeptRecords created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodiesSeriesWar Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World WarPieceCampbell H - Cooke W E

My relative sees the following -

It seems he joined at Aldershot and was posted to 195 Coy ASC (195 Company Army Service Corps). He served at home from 17 Nov 1914 to 7 Dec 1915, in the BEF (British Expeditionary Force) from 8 Dec 1915 to 6 Apr 1916 and home again from 7 Apr 1916 to 18 Oct 1917 when he was discharged as physically unfit for war service. Home in army terms can mean anywhere in the UK.

He acknowledged receiving the medal 1914/15 Star on 12 Apr 1920
He acknowledged receiving the British War Medal on 27 Jan 1921
He acknowledged receiving the Victory Medal on 16 Sep 1921 or thereabouts

These medals were known as Pip, Squeak and Wilfred, see https://www.fylde.demon.co.uk/pip.htm

He was discharged due to Myalgia (muscle pain), attributable to war service, and was allowed a pension of 8d/day.

After seeing this I now hope to find out more about the Army Service Corps and what they did etc.. and I'd like to know more about BEF (British Expideditionary Force) I'd like to know what they did and where they did it.

I don't know how to link the Ancestry Pages to here I am am afriad to admit - I am not sure that if I emailed myself a link to the docs could it copy and paste into here and would it work?

Thank you for your help - any advice is welcome

I will see if I can get hold of the records from scotland - as this may have the details I am looking for etc.. - I just wonder how I prove kinship when it's my GtGrandfathers records I am looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have a problem with the BEF. On a narrow original definition it means the six divisions of the British Army and their support troops sent to France/Belgium in August 1914 or soon afterwards. On a broader definition it means everyone who served on the Western Front. Start looking on the Long Long Trail web site. Having a copy of a birth certificate might be enough to prove kinship.

Alan Thank you so much for that - I did find the Long Long Trail website last night and was browsing through there - seems 24th Divisional 195 Company were going to Loos France.

The BEF stuff I was struggling with (I don't understand it) I was reading some diary on this website decribing what was going on - an absolutely fascinating read really - I shall go read some more as I was so gripped by the descriptions of everything that was going on - such a lot of information on this website.

I shall get a copy of Williams Birth Cert and send for the records as i am sure they will be a good start to understanding what I want to know.

Hi

I am trying to find out more about a relative in the army service corps. His name is thomas Besford and I can only find his medals card on Ancestry. Can't desipher what medals awarded and what for. His rank was driver and number T/364464. he lived at 7 brearley street. Has anyone any other clues where I go from here??

The BEF only exsisted from Aug 1914 to the retreat from mons Sept 1914. brownlow40 send his details to RCT musium in aldershot, used to be in Buller Barracks Queens ave but may ahve changed.

Brownowl40 you to decipher the Medal Card before going any further. He will be awarded any of....

British War Medal
Victory Medal
1915 Star or 1914 Star

For Labour Corps or ASC 'No Labour No Battle' published last year is invaluable. Written by John Starling and Ivor Lee.

Back