• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Army pay in WW1

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have used the search but I don't think this has been asked before.

How did soldiers get paid when they were in Europe in WW1, did their wives pick up the 'wages' and what of the unmarried men.

I dont know the answer, but I found this forum that may help. https://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11648 Heres a quote from one of the posts.

"Men were not paid their full pay when in the field. It was judged not a good idea to let a lot of single men loose with lots of money in an area where there were few things to buy ( or whatever!). They were given spending money while the rest of their pay was "deferred", often until discharge."

Terry

I have used the search but I don't think this has been asked before.

How did soldiers get paid when they were in Europe in WW1, did their wives pick up the 'wages' and what of the unmarried men.

My grandfather was a sergeant in WW1 and my grandmother was given a book of army weekly allowance forms for his pay to be collected from a designated post office.
Any pay arrears were paid by an army money order sent by post.
In 1916 he was receiving 17 shillings and sixpence per week increasing to 21 shillings per week when on military duty.
I would imagine unmarried men could name a mother or father to collect it or leave it as a lump sum with the army.

Hello quietlyfuming and welcome to the forum. Thank you for the information that is most useful I have been doing some millitary research at the moment. Do you still have the book?

Hello Wendy - Thank you for the welcome.
I'm afraid I don't have the book, only the form letter informing of a pay change and that a new book is available at the post office.
I could email it if it is of interest or use to you. Could anyone who is interested IM 'quietlyfuming' please.

My grandparents came from Foleshill, Coventry but during WW1 army service they were in Maldon, Essex.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. and welcome. I see location SOT is that Stoke on trent , my family from Bucknall and Hanley,Potters of course.

Oh my Alberta mine were potters in Fenton but with the name Morris and Cope...oh so many!! My gt grannys sister Martha Morris married a Brummy she sadly died in Aston in 1892 and is buried in Aston Parish Churchyard. Funny how things turn out.

Thanks for the info. and welcome. I see location SOT is that Stoke on trent , my family from Bucknall and Hanley,Potters of course.

Stoke on Trent it is but I'm not born and bred here. Originally from Chesterfield, Derbyshire. I've traced my ancestry in the last 150 years from Wrexham to Burslem/SOT to Birmingham to Chesterfield and now I'm back here in SOT.

We seem to be trailing the same road ha ha! My gt granny Ann Jane Morris came from Fenton S.O.T. and she married Robert Brewster Caldecott from Wrexham... I haven't found anyone in Derbyshire yet!

I have attached my Great Grandfathers demobilisation payslip. This should clear all you enquiry up as to what they got and how it was paid.

Regards

Jason

Attachments

• Demob payslip 001.jpg
    Demob payslip 001.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 23
Back