• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Are These Your Books ??

a s wood

master brummie
During a sort of clear out, I have come across some old books and wonder if their owners are on this forum, or if anyone knows their owners, or were related to them?
I have a New Testament presented to Annie Pearson by the Town of Dudley commemerating the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria June 22nd 1897.

A history book that belonged to Samuel Morcock Dartmouth Street School May 1901. This book also has the names
Sarah Morcock born 18th Oct 1898
Martha Morcock born 1901
Ellen Morcock
William Morcock born 1902
Arthur Morcock born 1921
All written in the front of the book.

A story book belonging to Joan Beesley 40 Aston Brook Street January 1943

A maths book belonging to F Holder from Aston Commercial School
I would be very happy for them to have new homes. Please let me know
regards
Amanda

Amanda, Just a question...
Could it be Joan Beeley, as I had a relative of that name in the Aston area...

I can't find the Morcock's in 1911 or 1901 censuses, BMD or outgoing passenger lists 1900-60.

There used to be is a Dartmouth St School in Bloomsbury (1873-1969), and one in West Bromwich, but it seems to have closed 1886.
There's another one in Worcester, MA, USA (Forgive this...here), which I include as, stated above, I can't find the Morcocks in British records. Please find me wrong, somebody - I don't like dead-ends like this!

Morcocks are very sparse on the ground, but there is a william in 1939 (only) at 144 Farm St on the elec. roll.
mike

Part of 'Bloomsbury Girls Secondary Modern School' in Goodrick St/Lingard St had it's Annex in Dartmouth St ! It was one of my old Schools...
There was also the Annex to I think it was St Vincent's Catholic School Windsor St.

Last edited:
Joan Beesley was nice and easy, to make up for the Morcocks.

Joan M Beesley is on the electoral roll in 1950 at 40 Aston Brook St, and I found her parents Frederick and Mabel E Beesley there also.
Frederick Beesley married Mabel Eugenie Acton 2nd quarter 1918 in Aston. Via a reputable family history site I find local 'Beesley' births with mother's maiden name 'Acton' were:
Barbara E, 3rd q.1921
Vera M, 2nd q.1923
Joan M, 1st q.1928
Frederick C, 2nd q.1929.

Joan married Edward C Adams 3rd q.1950 (he is listed at 40 Aston Brook St that year also) but they are not found in Birmingham in 1955.
Adams children with MMN Beesley are:
Paul M, 2nd q.1953, Birmingham
Christopher M, 1st q.1955, Wednesbury
Lynn B, 1st q.1956, Wednesbury
also just possibly:
Katherine Evelyn, 3rd q.1969, Enfield, London.

There should be a living relative,
but there is a death registered of a Joan M Adams aged c40 in 1967, in Carmarthen. Just a chance it's the one of the book.

Last edited:
Beesley not mine then...!

I've just checked the 1891 Census and wonder if the name has been a miss- transcribed on the census' as there are 17 Morecocks on the 1891 census in Birmingham and Aston and they all seem/look to be related...

3 Bk 51 Princip St Birmingham Parish: St. Mary's

MORECOCK Alfred Head M M 50 Gun Maker Finisher(Em'ee) London - Whitechapel
MORECOCK Charles Son - M 12 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham Birmingham
MORECOCK Emma M Dau S F 15 Machinist Rivets(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Birmingham
MORECOCK Henry A Son - M 5 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham Birmingham
MORECOCK Mary A Wife M F 49 London - Bow Birmingham
MORECOCK Walter Son S M 17 Gun Maker Finisher(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Birmingham
MORECOCK William Son S M 20 Gun Maker Finisher(Em'ee) London - Bethnal Green

1 Bk 63 Princip St Birmingham Parish: St. Mary's

William Head M 23 Gun Finisher(Em'ee) London -
Selina Wife 25 Warwickshire - Birmingham
William Father Wid' 53 Gun Finisher(Em'ee) London
Samuel Brothr 14 Errand Boy(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Birmingham
Mary A Dau 5 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
Jane Dau 3 Warwickshire - Birmingham
William Son -1 Warwickshire - Birmingham

5ct 5ho Wilton St Aston Parish: St Pauls

Mary 75 yrs Warwickshire - Birmingham
Leah Grndau - 11yrs 1Warwickshire - Birmingham
Jane - M 34yrs Press Worker (Jewellery)(Em'ee Staffordshire - West Bromw

I really dont want to keep thgese books myself and I hope that someone would like them.
You are all very good at finding people so I am hopeful.
with regards
Amanda

Amanda hope you don't think I am being cheeky but if you can't find their rightful owner maybe you could auction them for forum funds?. Just a thought. Jean.

just caught up with this thread..oh wow amanda these books would surely be of interest to any surviving rellies...wish i could claim them but alas no...i really hope that somehow you can find the right home for them eventually...

best of luck

lyn

Jean they are not really worth anything except maybe to any rellies, or someone who has those names amongst their ancestors.
I am happy to give them away to anyone if no one claims them
Amanda

I remember Sparks finding something similar Amanda and he tried for ages to find their rightful owners without any luck. All the best with yours though. Jean.

During a sort of clear out, I have come across some old books and wonder if their owners are on this forum, or if anyone knows their owners, or were related to them?
I have a New Testament presented to Annie Pearson by the Town of Dudley commemerating the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria June 22nd 1897.

A history book that belonged to Samuel Morcock Dartmouth Street School May 1901. This book also has the names
Sarah Morcock born 18th Oct 1898
Martha Morcock born 1901
Ellen Morcock
William Morcock born 1902
Arthur Morcock born 1921
All written in the front of the book.

A story book belonging to Joan Beesley 40 Aston Brook Street January 1943

A maths book belonging to F Holder from Aston Commercial School
I would be very happy for them to have new homes. Please let me know
regards
Amanda

Hi Amanda, Do you still have the books? My g/grandmother was Mary Beesley. She ran a sweet shop, and lived in Aston Brook street in the 1920/30s. She had 2 sons Fred and Albert who had children. I will have to do a bit more research but I'm almost sure they come from this family.I live in Walsall. Thankyou in advance if you still have it , but if not never mind, Kind regards Lynne.

Thanks, Frederick Beesley ws my mom's cousin, and your post has hepled me loads with my research. And all because of a story book!! Thanks again

I still have them, you are welcome to them. Message me your address and I will send them to you
regards
Amanda

That's very kind of you. I only stumbled over these pages last week when I was researching the Beesleys. My address is (removed by moderator). If you give me your address I will reimburse you the postage costs. Thanks again. Lynne.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Amanda, sorry about this. I replied on this forum, but the moderater removed my address. I'm not familiar with this site, so I don't know if i can send a reply in private. My email is (removed by Moderator) Thanks again, I will reimburse you the postage costs! Sorry, i'm a bit daft!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lynnelemond: You can send a private message. Follow the menu at the top of the page. Title: Instant messages. As this is a public forum we find that it is
best not to show e-mail addresses in the threads for safety reasons.

Hi Amanda, I received the book yesterday, I'm very excited about it. Thankyou very much,.It belonged to my mom's cousin. Sadly my mom passed away last year, I wish she was here to see it. There's so much I wish i could ask her, and also to tell her about. Thanks again.

What a lovely conclusion I am so pleased the book has been reunited with the family. A very kind gesture Amanda. Yet another pleasing result for the forum.

It is at times like this you realise just how good this forum is for bringing people together. I am so glad you now have the book lynnelemord. I know exactly how you feel about your mum - I feel the same about mine everyday. I hope you continue to use our lovely forum - I am sure our members will be able to help you in your research of your relatives.
Well done Amanda!

what a great result....how very kind of you amanda to hold onto the books until someone claimed them...

lyn

I know this is a very old post but I have only just seen it. Joan Beesley was my mother in law (passed away 2009)
It's a long shot, but do you still have her story book?

Sue S. (IN Australia)

ladypuma if you read all the posts especially post 22 it looks like the book was sent to another rellie over 3 years ago...maybe our member a s wood could confirm this for you...i have still got a few books that belong to other familys and although i have posted about them a few times on the forum so far nobody has claimed them....i will hang onto them as they really belong with the correct family....

all the best

lyn

Last edited:
Back