• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Arch Dexter

Simon68

master brummie
Hello everybody,

It’s Simon again the token trader from Suffolk.

I have just acquired a huge collection of tokens and going through them I have found a 2/- token for Arch Dexter Birmingham.

It doesn’t appear to be a pub token as it has no pub name on, looks more like a market token but doesn’t state the market involved either.

Can anyone shed some light on Mr Dexter and what he was. I am assuming Arch is short for Archibald (like my father-in-law).F0B58BA0-DF69-407F-AA56-A915EE7EE5CD.jpegAA69867D-61DD-46F9-A850-7DF8C1DD4FD7.jpeg

There is a case in the Courts in 1915 concerning the estate of the late Archibald Dexter who was a fish salesman. There may also be other related Dexters after who were big players in Wholesale fish market.

Last edited:
There were anumber of Dexter fishmongers in Birmingham around the end of the 19th, beginning of the 20th century. Archibald is listed in kellys up till the 1900 edition at 11 Willis St. , not being listed in the 1896 -1903 editions, being not listed in the 1895 version or the 1903 edition , In the 1903 edition, and after it appears that the Willis st establishment had been taken over by john Charles Dexter, who also had a place at the fishmarket.
In 1912 an Arch. Dexter fish salesman is again seen, address being given the wholesale fish market, Bell St, and were there till the 1950s

I would think a token like this would be more likely to be used in the wholesale market than in a shop in Willis st

Archibald Dexter fish salesman Wholesale market died in may 1911 and left his wealth to his wife Ada of Gravelly lane Erdington £2429 19s 4d.
They had no sons so the Business must have continued to use his name.
His brother John Charles Dexter died in 1939 age 84.

Last edited:
Archibald Dexter fish salesman Wholesale market died in may 1911 and left his wealth to his wife Ada of Gravelly lane Erdington £2429 19s 4d.
They had no sons so the Business must have continued to use his name.
His father John Charles Dexter died in 1939 age 84.

I don’t think John Charles was the father of Arch, more likely his brother. John Charles Dexter was a Councilor and a magistrate, prominent in the fish, game and poultry trade in the wholesale market, and died in 1939 at the age of 84.

Arch died and left a widow and 3 daughters in 1911, at the age of 51.

Back