• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Anyone Grow Up In Dovedale Road/Perry Common Area.........?

Tates

master brummie
I lived in Dovedale Road from 1955-1981.
Just wondering if ANYONE else on here did.......or the surrounding area.

I remember Ernie Marsden........used to be on the door at the Golden Cross in Short Heath Rd with a tall guy named Tony........don't know his surname.

Ernie worked part time at the petrol pumps for Stockland Garage at Stockland green when I worked there, he was also on the doors at the Queens head Erdington, great bloke and a real Character.

Lovely lady the late Maureen Whittall
lived in Dovedale Road.
She lived in one of the boot houses That was knocked down.

I lived in Dovedale Road from 1955-1981.
Just wondering if ANYONE else on here did.......or the surrounding area.
I didn't live in Dovedale Road but I knew the area well in the late 1940's and early 1950s because my Nan lived in Broomhill Road. A couple of pics below ...
Aerial view in 1926 shows the area not long built and they are still working on Hastings Rd School. Single lane College Rd on the left with the junction with Perry Common Rd bottom left - the library not yet built. Witton Lodge Rd runs diagonally towards top right. Two houses in Weycroft Rd are still there today - most of others demolished and rebuilt. The Mayfair Cinema not yet built.
PerryCommon1926.jpg
image source (britainfromabove org uk)

Similar view today - Dovedale Rd is much changed - arrow marks junction with College Rd.
Image2.jpg
A couple of links to other threads where I have some images and comments posted.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/erdington.3193/post-609413
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/perry-common-erdington.26221/post-572010

Had a friend in Dovedale. All I remember is her name was Anne. However she lived next door to a girl who was (at that time) Roy Wood's girlfriend. That would have been early 70's. My ex husband used to live in Broomfield Rd. Do any one remember the Fire Station in College Road?

If I remember correctly, Roy Wood's girlfriend in the late 60's was called Maureen and she used to work in a shoe shop in Lynton Square, Perry Barr (where the One Stop shopping centre is now).

If I remember correctly, Roy Wood's girlfriend in the late 60's was called Maureen and she used to work in a shoe shop in Lynton Square, Perry Barr (where the One Stop shopping centre is now).
Roy Wood's girlfriend was Maureen Holmes.

Capilano Rd, so right next to it.
Half of Dovedale Rd seems to have disappeared now compared to how I remember it. I remember somebody had a goat in their front garden.

I have a few videos on the houses being built on my youtube channel, and also this one of the part they closed off and rebuilt on.

Capilano Rd, so right next to it.
Half of Dovedale Rd seems to have disappeared now compared to how I remember it. I remember somebody had a goat in their front garden.
Sounds like my mate Ernie Marsdon worked at Electric Avenue and Stockland Garage on the petrol pumps part time. Moved to Hampstead where he kept all manner of animals, one Christmas he gave me a duck which was beautiful. Drove a mini van and trailer made up of the back end of a scrap minivan. He also was a bouncer at the queens in Erdington. Great bloke.

Last edited:
My father used to drive down Dovedale Road every morning and back in the evening, in his van (with my mother and myself in it) travelling between our home and our shop. I always remember one of the first houses on the right (as we turned into Dovedale Road from Perry Common Road) had a V for Victory painted on it's side wall.

Dovedale-Road-1930s-Voices-Of-Kingstanding.jpg

My father used to drive down Dovedale Road every morning and back in the evening, in his van (with my mother and myself in it) travelling between our home and our shop. I always remember one of the first houses on the right (as we turned into Dovedale Road from Perry Common Road) had a V for Victory painted on it's side wall.

Dovedale-Road-1930s-Voices-Of-Kingstanding.jpg
Great Picture
I used to walk past that house coming and going from school in the 60s.

Roy Wood's girlfriend was Maureen Holmes.
Around 1967 I was a kid playing outside the chippy on the Ring in Perry Common. A jeep pulled up alongside us with four long haired men, my mate recognised them first, it was The Move group with Roy Wood. They visited the women’s hairdresser who was his sister?

We asked for autographs and they said they had no paper so we all got old fag packets that were lying about on the floor, and got them to sign the inside clear part. They were very friendly and chatted about their new record, I think it was Fire Brigade.

Around 1967 I was a kid playing outside the chippy on the Ring in Perry Common. A jeep pulled up alongside us with four long haired men, my mate recognised them first, it was The Move group with Roy Wood. They visited the women’s hairdresser who was his sister?

We asked for autographs and they said they had no paper so we all got old fag packets that were lying about on the floor, and got them to sign the inside clear part. They were very friendly and chatted about their new record, I think it was Fire Brigade.
1680088862921.jpeg

Back