• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Another photo to date

Yvonne

proper brummie kid
Can anyone provide a rough date of when this photo was taken? There is no info on the back at all. It is a photo belonging to my Mum but she has no idea who the people are and they look like most of them are related, especially the younger ones. If I can get a rough date, I have a better change of working out who they are. Thanks for any help.

I agree with all above - Edwardian maybe 1905-1910 and certainly looks European, possibly German, maybe immigrants?

I'd agree, they don't look British.... no Brit would wear a fob-chain so high up the waistcoat, as do two of the men.... thus suggesting it was a 'fashion' and not an individuals eccentricty. Further, they wear their bottom waistcoat button closed; another non-Brit' trend etc. Belgiques perhaps?

Thank you everyone for replies. Very interesting. This photo supposedly rested on the mantelpiece of my gt grandmother Goldswain or at least it was in either her or her husband's (Packer) possession leading me to believe they could be relatives of either of their's but I have no proof of course. They lived in Kent/London. They look wealthy to me. I have no idea where it was taken - it does not look like it has been taken in front of a home so not sure if the building is their business/work premises or just somewhere nice to have a photo taken. I have traced the Goldswains back to 1750 in West Wycombe, Bucks so if these are related, they have not just arrived here. I know the Goldswains were dark. Thanks all.

'Goldswain' has a certain 'Jewish' ring to it; could some of the people in the photograph be foreign relatives/friends?

I did think that the stout, lady sitting left-front, had a possible touch of the Jewish 'Matriarch' about her ...something about the hooped-detail on her sleaves too, that suggests a certain 'difference' ... I can't quite put my finger on it though. Could the building be a synagogue???

JohnO - ooooh thanks for that. I have looked at the photo a million times and never thought of a synagogue. I sent the photo to a Packer relative in Canada and she thinks it might be the family my Gt grandmother Goldswain worked as housekeeper to for a short while before marriage - Harry Greensted a solicitor in Sittingbourne. This sounds very feasible and I will investigate further. Thanks very much

Yvonne - the name 'Harry Greensted' seems a possible Jewish derivitave too.

Paul, 'Alberts' were more usually worn across the lower waistcoat pockets; wearing them from the upper pockets was a more European fashion; ditto the closed lower-button of the waistcoat. Whether or not the photograph was taken in Britain, or elsewhere, there are slightly 'exotic' elements/features to the assembled company. I could be wildly off-beam here, of course, but I'm going to trust to my instincts (usually fatal!) and opt for something a little out of the ordinary here.

Back