• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Andromeda Bookshop

Barr_Beacon

The Prodigal Brummie
This is a long shot but has anyone got any photographs of Andromeda science fiction bookshop? I think it was in Summerhill near the College of Food & Domestic Arts.

I've just joined this site today. I was the owner of Andromeda and I have a box full of photos from our three sites - Summer Row, top of Suffolk Street (#84) and the last one at the bottom of Suffolk Street (Nos 2-5). We were never in Smallbrook Ringway and Birmingham's tallest building is not built on the site of the shop. Nos 2-5 is now a Costcutter store. When I find the photos I'll post a few here. I'm still interested in science fiction and I'm still a member of the Birmingham SF Group which meets every month and has been doing so since 1971.

These were taken in the window of the Summer Row shop in the mid 1980s. The TB1 model is not believed to be an original studio model by the way, but I think the Terrahawks cube it is sitting on was an original:-
1678194330209.png
1678194360622.png

Spent many a happy hour (and quite a few quid.....) in the various Andromeda shops over the years!

Bought a couple of William Hope Hodgson and had a conversation with a collector of first edition Hodgsons there. Bought some J. G. Ballard short stories too. An excellent shop, and clean. My favourite of the Birmingham secondhand bookshops - they sold new books and magazines too like Interzone.

IMG_2326.jpeg

Last edited:
Back