• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Anderton Street grocers shop

kraithby

proper brummie kid
Does anyone know if there was a grocers shop on Anderton Street..both my great grandfather John Martin and my great great grandfather Thomas Martin lived here from 1891 to 1911 and are described on the census as grocers carters. I wondered if it was there shop perhaps?

Welcome Kraithby. I shall move your thread to the Shops section of the forum.

Viv.

In 1900 Percy Bennett was a grocer at no 136 Anderton Road, but I would not think they necessarily worked for a grocer in their own road. It could have been any in the area

In 1900 Percy Bennett was a grocer at no 136 Anderton Road, but I would not think they necessarily worked for a grocer in their own road. It could have been any in the area
Yes you are right. I said that in my comment....oh well worth a try

Does anyone know if there was a grocers shop on Anderton Street..both my great grandfather John Martin and my great great grandfather Thomas Martin lived here from 1891 to 1911 and are described on the census as grocers carters. I wondered if it was there shop perhaps?
There was a shop opposite the playground. The Prices? There was a bookies in the back. I remember picking up my dads winning on Merryman 2 in the grand national in 1960! We lived further along the street at 67.

Yes I think the lady was Mrs Erkett

Hi there i remember the Delaney's and the other name i believe was the McQueen's correct me if i wrong ,i lived at no1 back of 98 Anderton street next to the Dowdall's ie pikey, those were the days ,rough and ready ,but great , Paul.

Back