• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Amos Ison

Garry Stretton

master brummie
My first post was about the birth address of Walter George Ison. I was surprised with the generosity and knowledge of this group. Now I am looking at his father Amos Ison. Seems he is from Birmingham too. He was born 9 May 1823 in Sutton Coldfield, Warwickshire. Google maps has shown me that this is on the edge of Birmingham. His birth abode is given as Cat Hill. William Dargue A History of BIRMINGHAM Places & Placenames from A to Y fortunately identifies that address as now various streets including Plants Brook Road. What I can't find is his death.
This is what I have so far.
Thanks for all your help especially from Linda.

hi garry i am sure a few of us will rally round to help with amos..looks like we need to find some old maps..odd thing is i drove down plantsbrook road last week :D

lyn

Last edited:
1858 trade directory show amos ison as a retail brewer in aston village...all this needs checking to make sure i have the correct person

NameAmos Ison
Publication Year1858
AddressAston Village
Residence PlaceBirmingham, Warwickshire, England
OccupationRetail Brewer

Now have Amos on the 1861 census as a brewer in Kidderminster.

Attachments

• 1861 census.jpg
    1861 census.jpg
    521.4 KB · Views: 2
Th
Not sure if you have the marriage cert for Amos and Sarah
Thankyou for this. I don't have it. I have the GRO which only gives the quarter not the day. I can look at it and press download but the file will not open. That has happened a number of times from this site. Yet some attached files I can open. Rather strange.

Now have Amos on the 1861 census as a brewer in Kidderminster.
Thankyou. I was able to open the attachment in a new tab then print it as a pdf then convert it to a jpg. Otherwise I could not open it as a downloaded jpg or print it. Very useful information about 3rd great grandfather Amos. I have just been doing some further looking and found the digital version of that census. So much better to see the original to make sure the transcription has been correct.

I was able
Not sure if you have the marriage cert for Amos and Sarah
I was able to get this file the same way as I mentioned for the other. Can you decipher the age column? It looks like a description not an age. And I can't read their residence as I am unfamiliar with the regional names and can't read the hand writing.

Th

Thankyou for this. I don't have it. I have the GRO which only gives the quarter not the day. I can look at it and press download but the file will not open. That has happened a number of times from this site. Yet some attached files I can open. Rather strange.

When a person married in a church after 1837 it would have been recorded by the church and also registered. The info would have been virtually identical.

The GRO holds the official registration copies but the churches held their own and a lot of these have been digitised and are available on various genealogy sites. You have to pay for the GRO registrations.

Similarly baptisms/burials were recorded by the church but the associated births/deaths should have been officially registered.

W
1858 trade directory show amos ison as a retail brewer in aston village...all this needs checking to make sure i have the correct person

NameAmos Ison
Publication Year1858
AddressAston Village
Residence PlaceBirmingham, Warwickshire, England
OccupationRetail Brewer
Well done. This looks pretty conclusive. How many Amos Ison brewers in Aston in 1858?

Thankyou for this. Amos has a twin? Amos and John age 15. Can you read the place name? I can't work it out.
Ages on 1841 census were rounded so 2 different ages would be given as 15.

I was able

I was able to get this file the same way as I mentioned for the other. Can you decipher the age column? It looks like a description not an age. And I can't read their residence as I am unfamiliar with the regional names and can't read the hand writing.
It says "full age" meaning they were over 21 and did not need parental consent. Ages were only recorded later.

He didn't have a twin, ages were rounded up for people over a certain age on the 1841 census.

John (John William) appears to have been born 29 Dec 1824.
That you for the clarification. I haven't begun to pursue the Amos siblings. More interested at the moment in extending the direct line.

had
W

Well done. This looks pretty conclusive. How many Amos Ison brewers in Aston in 1858?
Had a look at the Historical Directories of England and Wales and located the entry you found. Wow again, What a resource that is from the University of Leicester. The whole of the UK in one searchable space. Is this the sort of extensive access I will find in Ancestry? Your result looks like a digitised result, not the actual book page image I saw in the site.

A village in Worcestetshire not that far from Kidderminster called Bellbroughton.
Sarah was born there I think.
Thanks, I can see it now but could not have worked that one out. I have Sarah's baptism at the Wesleyan Chapel, Kidderminster. Of course she was not born in the church.
I recorded her birth as Kidderminster.

I think on one of the censuses it says Bellbroughton. Will look later when I put my laptop on - otherwise my cakes will be burnt lol.
There probably wasn't a Wesley's Chapel nearer than Kidderminster.

OK. I have some census now too thanks to the Brummies. Haven't had a chance to look yet. Leaving that for tomorrow. 11.30pm here. Enough for today. Get those cakes. So 'Brummie' comes from Brummagem, a name for the city used by locals since the 1700s.

There is no record of a death of an Amos Ison even though it says on some family records it is 1881.
On some of his childrens marriage records they name their father as William Amos Ison.

If he was known as this there are 2 possible records.
1872 Foleshill William Ison age 42 birth circa 1830

1887 Birmingham William Ison age 63 birth circa 1824.

On the marriage record for Homer William son his Father is listed as William Amos

Alberta - I was half way through typing that sentence when your post popped in. Interestingly there re some newspaper articles abut a William Amos Ison a brewer in Kidderminster. :D
There is no record of a death of an Amos Ison even though it says on some family records it is 1881.
On some of his childrens marriage records they name their father as William Amos Ison.

If he was known as this there are 2 possible records.
1872 Foleshill William Ison age 42 birth circa 1830

1887 Birmingham William Ison age 63 birth circa 1824.

Last edited:
The death reg. in Foleshill appears to match a William Ison living in Bedworth (Foleshill district) in 1871 and before.

Sarah is listed as a widow in 1881 so possibly rules out the Bham one, though, as we know, census info isn't always accurate.

However, Amos is listed as William Amos on 2 of his sons' marriages and he also appears to be listed as William Amos in some court/crime records and associated newspaper articles.

Back