• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aldridge - Tamworth Parish look up request

Spugalugs

proper brummie kid
I'm trying to identify a Francis Aldridge born around 1792 in Birmingham area (who later married Maria Hawkins in St Martins, Birmingham in 1812) their marraige record showed his parents were Samuel & Elizabeth. The only Francis I can find around this time and in this area, with same parents names is shown on family search as FrancEs a girl born / bapt on 20 May 1792 in Tamworth. I'm assuming (hoping) this is an error and it was a boy which fits, as on on a later census Francis states he was born in Tamworth. Can anyone suggest a way of checking this myself somehow or can check someone kindly check the Tamworth Parish records. Not sure if this will help but just incase it is an error in the transcription. Many thanks. :cupcake:

I wouldn't be too concerned about the spelling of Francis/Frances in the late 1700s. Although literate, the clergy could be quite slapdash and the parents may well not have been literate enough to know what he had written. If you can't find a death/burial for Frances (female), I'd be inclined to think that the vicar was just confused!

I also have the impression that Francis/Frances convention for boy/girl is relatively recent......

Interesting that in the 1851 census place born is NK, England (Not known), yet by 1861 he says Tamworth!

Where to go from here....
  • you could try your nearest Family History Centre. For a small fee you can order the film number and search through the parish entries yourself.
  • Try adding a request on https://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/index/STAFFORDSHIRE
  • The original registers for Tamworth are deposited at Staffordshire records office (Stafford) I'm not sure whether there are microfilmed copies at Birmingham library. The catalogue is on-line I think. Because Birmingham library is moving next year, they are not undertaking any private research/lookups, so the only solution would be top ask someone on the forum to look for you. I often go to the library, but I'm not sure when my next visit will be.
Hope this is useful - sorry I can't give you a definitive answer

Back