• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Albert Road Aston

The church in Albert road was about hundred yards before the Aston gramour school its roughly about half way down Albert road
Come down from the top end by the park walk down on the right hand side about half way to three parts down you come to the church
Pass it then a little further the Aston Gramour. School within minutes there building was both brown
That's where the church was in Albert road
Walk back up the road heading to the park and cross over to the bag wash house windows all steamed up and steam bellowing out
The windows walk back down to the church on the bag wish sdide six houses down is where capt Roberts leader of the boys brigade
1st Birmingham company lived and miss rice the as to parish church choir mistress also lived and for dyson hall
I was one of her choir boys for the church Alan,,,Astonian,,,,,,

This incredible building still exists in Albert Road.

On the map of 1889 it is listed as School Board Offices and on this side of the road there are no buildings between this and the library on the corner of Albert Road and Witton Road.

The map of 1937 lists it as a clinic.

Present day it appears to be used in two parts, for 'Prince Albert Primary School' and The Arches, Pastoral and Inclusion Centre'.

Attachments

• Albert rd.jpg
    Albert rd.jpg
    469.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Albert Rd Aston Primary School.jpg
    Albert Rd Aston Primary School.jpg
    817.4 KB · Views: 56
thanks john...yes it really is good news that the building is still standing....

lyn

Hi all, was their a pub called the the Victoria Inn on Albert rd that was demolished in the late 60s. The Hussey family ran the pub I believe ?

This incredible building still exists in Albert Road.

On the map of 1889 it is listed as School Board Offices and on this side of the road there are no buildings between this and the library on the corner of Albert Road and Witton Road.

The map of 1937 lists it as a clinic.

Present day it appears to be used in two parts, for 'Prince Albert Primary School' and The Arches, Pastoral and Inclusion Centre'.
I went to Prince Albert in the 60s/70s. That building was used as a clinic and dentist at the time. I had so many fillings there.

I went to Prince Albert in the 60s/70s. That building was used as a clinic and dentist at the time. I had so many fillings there.
My late father in law was the caretaker there back in 1976..
The caretaker's house was next to the clinic , me and my wife stayed there many times. Victorian rooms with no double glazing, no central heating, Open fires only , lit with the coal taken from the school's boiler house . There is a tunnel from the old cellars leading to Prestbury road school , back then it was used for storage , old desks , etc..
Fond memories... Our Wedding reception was held in the school hall back in '76... we married round the corner at the Church.. I will try and find some old pics ....

Hi there

I am wondering if someone knows where to get an old map of Albert Road, Aston Manor, for around 1920 and or pre before The Aston Express way went through the road. I am looking for a map with the houses on please.
I am looking for 344 Albert Road, as I reckon The Aston Express Way goes very near to where the house stood and would like a map with house numbers on to work this out.

Hi there

I am wondering if someone knows where to get an old map of Albert Road, Aston Manor, for around 1920 and or pre before The Aston Express way went through the road. I am looking for a map with the houses on please.
I am looking for 344 Albert Road, as I reckon The Aston Express Way goes very near to where the house stood and would like a map with house numbers on to work this out.
I don't know if you have come across this but it is a useful facility which shows exactly where the expressway was built, just slide the bar at the bottom.

I have received a request from Sali which I post here:

Hi there
Hi there
Can you help me to locate any pictures on Albert, directly opposite the grammar school on Albert Road. I have been told there was a dairy farm in the days of Sir thomas holte and later houses were built. I would be so grateful if anyone can give me any details on that specific area. Also anything on upper thomas street, couple of yards away from the school.

The photo in Post 23# reminds of a time when some fire brigades were administered by local councils prior to 1947 when they were set up as city or county brigades.
It was customary for some local brigades to give the local Town Hall an annual clean up! :D

Back