• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Albert Alexander Cole. Aston Villa…1920s?

catrionatarlts

Brummie babby
Hi everyone, I’m new and hoping I’ve posted in the right place! I understand my great grandfather, Albert Alexander Cole, played for Aston Villa but didn’t go professional.

My cousin has reached out to the club for any records but didn’t get much help, would anyone know how I could find any record of this please? Or has access to anything like that? He was born in 1905.

Any help is so appreciated!

Thank you! I’ve looked but it only lists key players which we know he wouldn’t be as he didn’t go professional - feel at a bit of a dead end with it

Thank you - do you know if this includes youth squads or where I might find that? I’m wondering if that might be more likely? Thank you again for helping I was quite lost!
catrionatarlts, I don't think it includes youth squads, I thought a 143 year history of players who had played a least one game was a pretty good achievement in itself.

Hi everyone, I’m new and hoping I’ve posted in the right place! I understand my great grandfather, Albert Alexander Cole, played for Aston Villa but didn’t go professional.

My cousin has reached out to the club for any records but didn’t get much help, would anyone know how I could find any record of this please? Or has access to anything like that? He was born in 1905.

Any help is so appreciated!
Do you happen to know, if your great grandfather played any reserve games or friendly matches? I've had a look amongst some of my books and I have a few more that I will have a delve into too. Villa once had a club historian, John Lerwill who RobT has mentioned at #4 (I'm not sure, if they appointed another). I would have thought that the club might still have held some records (although some may have been lost over the years) and it's a pity they were not in a position to give you any sort of information. I will let you know if I can find anything.

Hi, thank you for reaching out. We don’t unfortunately, we do know there are football medals held by another family member so relatively confident it’s not a family myth as it were (!) but it’s not looking good at the moment. I’ve had a look through the other websites shared by RobT too. I really appreciate this forums willingness to help!

Back