• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

aerial pic of spring hill

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
if it was not for the library in this pic still being there i would never have guessed this was spring hill...its almost unrecognisable now...

lyn

HI LYN
I Must commend you for all the hard work you are doing for us on this site
its a terrif pic ; the first window blind was walter smiths the second black section was the pawn brokers the second window blind was sis cleggs the fruiter he started is shop with all named pototoes before bring the rest of a fruit shop
vegies in to his shop [he only specialized at the begening for pototoes and a couple pf months later he sopld the rest of the greens ;the end wall ;or should i say the facing wall before the next blind showing was stoddards
the butchers ; and our next door neibour bily hollondand his brother phil worked there at that shop
and right out side that shop was the number eight bus stop
thanks for the picture Alan ;;

The site around the library is now being rebuilt yet again, as .....................

You guessed it a supermarket................

Tesco I think..........

as always alan its a pleasure...and i must commend you on your brillient memory i always enjoy reading your posts..you know as a youngster i must have walked from villa street with our mom and siblings hundreds of times to spring hill and always being scared when we walked under the bridge lol....of course at that time i was not to know that years later i would be searching for pics of the very shops i went into...still waiting to hear when the union is closing its doors..i will let you know as soon as i do...

have a nice day

lyn

Nice pic., Lyn. As you say, if it wasn't for the library........
Another supermarket eh? Just what everyone needs. Wonder what the payoff was - repairs to the Library or another new road system?

Lovley picture Lyn. This is the Ladywood my mum knew - she often used to talk about "up spring Hill" or "along Monument Road". Wish it still looked like this.
Polly

It seems Tesco are good at "Pay Offs" the new Tesco being built on the A41 West Bromwich bypass, Tesco put in 2 million towards the redevelopement.

Lyn, you don't fancy going up there and actually showing us what you mean with a modern-day "now" photo do you?

If you can't afford to hire the BBC helicopter we'll all chip in for the hang-glider insurance if it doesn't quite go according to plan..

(Won't we, folks?)

ha ha richie....i would take you up on that offer if the view would have been more appealing....

lyn

Lyn, i think we're more bothered about what we see when we look UP rather than what you see when you look down !

This should be your viewpoint however on your flight path in from Elmdon airport to Spring Hill. The clock tower is on your right, just to the left of the third on the right of the front three high-rises. Have you got your co-ordinates? We don't want any messy accidents showing up on people's window panes, do we.....?
View attachment 51695

Photograph displayed from the Royal Institute of British Architects selection under educational, non profit-making terms and conditions.

lol richie...yes ive got me bearings thank you....the car park in the pic is now the site of the new central library..if you recall last year it was excavated before work began as it was the site of winfiields brass co....it still makes me angry that it was all taken away to dig the footings for the library...just another bit of brum history gotton rid of..still at least myself and a few other members have got our blue bricks from the dig to keep as momentos....see now you have started me off again..lol

lyn

Last edited:
Back