• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

aerial pic of netown 1967

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all...ive posted this before a long time ago but thought it would be nice to repost...this amazing shot of newtown was taken in 1967 at the start of demolision. and the rebuild..the large piece of waste ground is where paddington st was and where i was born...such a shame they decided that my street would be one of the first to go as to date i have not been able to find any pics of it...i can pick out the bartons arms pub...the crocodile works..opposite the school still stands the geach arms corner of geach and summer lane..the little church hall opposite which is still there...alma st school..the building of the round market taking shape and also inkerman house...i shall leave it now so.....if you save this to your pics you will be able to zoom in to it better...

what can you pick out??????

lyn....

I don't know the area very well but I spotted Barton Arms
113.gif
and the Hippodrome was there then.

might have guessed you would spot that froth..lol...i can see the wing of the plane...

That is a great photo that I have not seen before. You can easily pick out Porchester and Furnace Lane...Kensington and also Denmark which was the approx location of the old furnace pool. There is another picture on here from about a similar view from the top of huge furnace ash/cinder pile that existed there before the school was built and looking towards the furnace and upstream of the Hockley Brook about 1840 I think.

attachment.php

Kensington was to be just to the left of the factory and Denmark to the right and you are standing on the mound of ash and looking upstream, along the brook, which would have been open then. I think that would have been a flood plain dissappearing into the distance below the factory. The original furnace was gone in this picture and the factory would have been a wire mill I think. The top of the ash mound was as high as was possible there then. Furnace Lane is hidden by the pile of ash and would have led off up the hill from the bottom of the picture to the right.

Thank you for your post Lyn. My wife and I both remember the Aston Hippodrome, Barton Arms, House That Jack Built ( We still have a large white teapot that we paid 2/6d for ) there was a drapers shop where she bought a paper pattern for a coat and still uses it.

thanks rupert..i have that pic..hard to think of it once looking like that...

hi ernie..glad you also like it..you have probably seen the one of house that jack built that i posted some time back...

lyn

thats ok then ernie and fancy you still having that tea pot...our mom and nan were always in and out of the house that jack built and dad used to clean the windows...

lyn

Lyn, I can pick out the Aston Hipp opposite the Bartons Arms, almost next door with a flat roof is Woolworths, on the opposite corner at the junction of Burlington Street/Newtown Row was Lerose Ladies Fashions (previously Griffins greengrocers for many many years), just up Burlington Street are a few houses and a court known as the Palisades, then the buildings painted white are a small firm whose name I have forgotten which made wire guards etc. the next street is Webster Street, on the corner the Wagon & Horses, then the large building was The House of Jack Built (note the of) everybody called it that.

Nice Ariel pic, remember as a young Gas Board apprentice working for two weeks in The Crocodile Works -2 very long weeks. I married a Pat Burford who worked in Griffins Greengrocery Shop in Newtown she later worked up above the Bartons Arms at a Firm called Ingalls Parsons & Clive where they made Shrouds and Coffin Furniture until they too moved up to Bradford St in the City and eventually Receivership -talk about a Dead end job!

1967? The tower block in the middle of the picture looks only half built. Inkerman House. My Grandparents lived there. I remember watching the first moonlanding on their telly in 1969. (not live but a repeat only a few hours later, during our daytime.) Now that I think of it, the flats were brand new. Even the paint smelt new.

hi gary..yes thats right inkerman house was about half built...i guess your grandparents would have been some of the first tenents in the block...

lyn

hi gary..yes thats right inkerman house was about half built...i guess your grandparents would have been some of the first tenents in the block...

lyn

Yes. They must've been. They didn't have to move far from their previous house before it was pulled down. Elkington Street, just across the Road. The big post office sorting depot sits there now.

Thanks for posting the great photo. gary.

ah yes gary..there should be some pics of elkington st on the forum...type what you are looking for in the search box top right of page...i think that a lot of folk didnt want to move from their roots when demolision started...our mom and dad for instance had not moved more than within a ten min walk of the streets where they were born in all their 80 years...

lyn

Back