• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A little row of shops

Godber

master brummie
Commenting on another subject has prompted me to post this thread. Just up the road from my childhood home in the 70s was a row of ten shops on Yarningale Road. Starting at one end there was a bookies, then a tiny chemist, then what we called the bread shop (no baking onsite as I recall, it was all bought in from elsewhere. I wonder if each egg custard in the window came ready supplied with the wasp that always seemed to be attached to it?) followed by a newsagents (who delivered my Beano comic every Thursday) then a hairdresser’s shop, a “Wool” shop (the most stultifyingly dull place in the world to a seven year old who was forced to wait in there while his mom browsed various shades of the stuff) followed by a greengrocer’s who sold muddy potatoes and delicious toffee apples around Bonfire Night, a launderette, a Butcher’s shop with sawdust on the floor and finally a small Co-op. That row of shops supplied pretty much everything you needed for a week’s shopping which is probably why I don’t remember being taken to the supermarket very often.
On my occasional visits to the area these days I sometimes drive past them and it seems that only one or two of the units are in use now. Sad, but that’s progress I suppose.

Commenting on another subject has prompted me to post this thread. Just up the road from my childhood home in the 70s was a row of ten shops on Yarningale Road. Starting at one end there was a bookies, then a tiny chemist, then what we called the bread shop (no baking onsite as I recall, it was all bought in from elsewhere. I wonder if each egg custard in the window came ready supplied with the wasp that always seemed to be attached to it?) followed by a newsagents (who delivered my Beano comic every Thursday) then a hairdresser’s shop, a “Wool” shop (the most stultifyingly dull place in the world to a seven year old who was forced to wait in there while his mom browsed various shades of the stuff) followed by a greengrocer’s who sold muddy potatoes and delicious toffee apples around Bonfire Night, a launderette, a Butcher’s shop with sawdust on the floor and finally a small Co-op. That row of shops supplied pretty much everything you needed for a week’s shopping which is probably why I don’t remember being taken to the supermarket very often.
On my occasional visits to the area these days I sometimes drive past them and it seems that only one or two of the units are in use now. Sad, but that’s progress I suppose.
List below from 1967-68 Kelly's shows businesses in this area, there is no entries for 160 & 166 in the 1972-73 Kelly's

Attachments

• 1yarn.jpg
    1yarn.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 6
Commenting on another subject has prompted me to post this thread. Just up the road from my childhood home in the 70s was a row of ten shops on Yarningale Road.
I suppose all of us of a certain age grew up with the local shop concept, no car in the home, there wasn't until late 50's at best, moms needed a range of shops within bag carrying distance. My earliest locals were on the Warwick Rd at Tyseley some near to Knights Rd. the others on the corner of Stockfield Rd.
In a recent programme on the development of a new M&S great emphasis was placed on having the car park on the same level as the foodhall so that customers could fill their trolleys to a maximum for transfer to their cars.

List below from 1967-68 Kelly's shows businesses in this area, there is no entries for 160 & 166 in the 1972-73 Kelly's
Thanks Rob, from that Kelly’s entry I can see Cartwright was the bread shop and the greengrocer and wool shop were the other way around. No.166 is puzzling, listed as “Nash W. hardware dlr” it was a launderette when I lived there.

I suppose all of us of a certain age grew up with the local shop concept, no car in the home, there wasn't until late 50's at best, moms needed a range of shops within bag carrying distance. My earliest locals were on the Warwick Rd at Tyseley some near to Knights Rd. the others on the corner of Stockfield Rd.
In a recent programme on the development of a new M&S great emphasis was placed on having the car park on the same level as the foodhall so that customers could fill their trolleys to a maximum for transfer to their cars.
Realise that things are going full circle. Eye sight deteriorating so driving is off the menu so now walking to local shop, a Tesco, good exercise, taken to using a step counter. Suppose I shall be looking to the once a week "Ring and Ride" next!

Realise that things are going full circle. Eye sight deteriorating so driving is off the menu so now walking to local shop, a Tesco, good exercise, taken to using a step counter. Suppose I shall be looking to the once a week "Ring and Ride" next!
We moved a couple of years ago and now have a row of local shops that would have been a minute walk away for me not that long ago, but now seem quite a distance, but a journey well worth making. My wife and I are happy and lucky to have these local shops so near, a proper butcher, a grocers, a newsagent, chemist, post office, barbers, an Indian restaurant, a Fish & Chip shop, if only there was a pub as well... ;)

We moved a couple of years ago and now have a row of local shops that would have been a minute walk away for me not that long ago, but now seem quite a distance, but a journey well worth making. My wife and I are happy and lucky to have these local shops so near, a proper butcher, a grocers, a newsagent, chemist, post office, barbers, an Indian restaurant, a Fish & Chip shop, if only there was a pub as well... ;)
John
All hose together locally today!! Are you sure this isn't a post you wrote 30 years ago and have reposted ? ;)

Back